Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... to get more credit card debt. Oh - and some advice would be appreciated too! Here's my story:

I have two jobs. One job is with Pepsi for 9.00/hr and the other one is at a zoo for 5.50/hr. Pepsi is my primary job and I work at the zoo on weekends occassionally (Zookeeping is my career, so it's great experience, the pay is just bad). Due to staffing issues I've had to/will have to work more at the zoo in March and April - which have made my pay checks less overall. Add to this the fact that family members are visiting for the next two weekends and I'm losing another 3 days of pay.

Now, with this in mind my upcoming life is pretty stressful. Right now I'm in the midst of finishing up my last semester at college and am so stressed out right now. I'm on the edge of panicking on how to get everything done in time, and the only thing that is keeping me sane is focusing on one thing at a time.

Then on the 28th of April my fiance comes to visit! I'm super excited for this! We haven't seen each other for 9 months and after he leaves we won't see eachother for another 9 months - so that means that out of 1.5 years of time we will have been together for 3 weeks. :thud:

During the time he is here I don't want to work. I may have to work a little, but I'm not counting on any money. I figured it out and I should be able to pay all of my normal bills while he's here, including food. I have not included any gas money, but since we're not traveling too much, that should be around $100. Unfortunately he won't have a lot of money either so he'll either have to pay that or it'll have to go on my credit card. I was going to be able to get everything paid and have spending money, but since I am moving I have to put a $300 deposit down, which takes all of my spending money for the time he is here. :'(

Starting on June 1st however I will be working full time and making about $300 per week at Pepsi and another $400 per month at the zoo, with expenses around $700 per month. This will be from working six 10-15 hour days a week, with one day off for rest. This should leave me with about $900 per month left over. If I figured it out right I should be able to pay the $2000 on my credit card off and (including bonuses each month during the summer of $150) still get about $1400 saved for the fall, when I won't have any income (internship which covers housing, but I is otherwise unpaid. i'll basically have food and insurance costs only). My friend is getting married though, and I'm in here wedding so those costs will be about $300... but I should still have enough for food, and my loan payments (which start in November) in the fall, with my parents paying insurance (they agreed already - it was their idea).

So, there you have my financial situation. I'm feeling anxious about it all and while I don't want to put more money on my credit card, I have a feeling I'll have to when my fiance is here. I guess what I want is for someone to tell me that it's okay to go into debt for a situation like mine...

Also, advice. I can stay where I'm at and work, gather more experience at the zoo in my career field and make the above amount of money. Or I can move home with my parents, have little to no living costs, make at least a slightly smaller amount of money but have it to spend on my own. Going home means that I wouldn't gather experience at a zoo, which could hurt my future career options a lot. My third option is to find a paid full time position in my career field and not take my fall internship... but the fall internship is a once in a lifetime chance which i won't have ever again... so - what would you guys do? Would you stay and work where I'm at, gaining good experience for my resume? Would you move in with your parents, even though there'd be no career experience? Or would you keep an eye open for permanent positions and tell the internship you changed your mind if you get awarded a position?

Right now the smartest thing to do seems to be to stay here in the summer, get good experience and to go to the internship in the fall and gain that experience. Then next year (2008) I will probably move home w/my parents for a few months and work full time someplace while I look for a permanent position (there's a lot of job openings in February-April in my career field). I think this is best.... but what do you all think?

Thanks for the reassurance guys.. I'm under a lot of stress and I just need someone to tell me that it'll all be okay financially. Someone other than my family and fiance... thanks!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
seems to me you have thought it through quite a bit. I am sure it'll all work out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think working where you are and gaining the experience and doing the internship is the way *I* would go. Your talking about once in a lifetime oppurtunities and gaining experience that will help you for years and years to come.

It looks like you have put alot of thought into this. Which is awesome. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I agree, you have everything planned out so hopefully everything will go as planned, you do what you have to do, that's the main point. :)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I agree with everyone else, you seem to know what's best for you :). I would hold off moving home until you have the experiences you will need to help you move your career along. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aww..thanks guys.

my problem is that I think tooooo much sometimes....

and i'm super stressed with school so that makes me worry about other things too.. speaking of super stressed, i better cram for my test in 5 hours.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I agree with the others on the work/home thing. As to the expenses -- none of us ever want to add to credit card debt; if we didn't care, we wouldn't be using this forum. But you also don't need to be stressing about it when you have this rare and precious time with your fiance. You are young, you have a career in sight, and it sounds like you will be soon be well positioned to pay off any debt you may still have. And how much would you be putting on the card while he was there anyway? It doesn't sound like much. So I would enjoy that time, pay for it however you can, and don't worry about it too much. Once you get out of school and get settled in a permanent position in your field, it will all be easier. You are being pulled in an awfully lot of directions right now, but it sounds that that phase of your life is about to wind down. No wonder you're stressing, but hang in there -- just a little while longer!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Can you get a lower rate student loan? My son's school has "Emergency" loans with no interest for 60 days - not sure what counts as an emergency, but not getting his scholarship check on time and having to pay a housing payment did, so your moving deposit might.

Also, re: moving back home. I did, and it was not a good thing professionally and was a pretty uncomfortable emotional time. I don't know that I really regret the decision, but would caution you that you need to think very carefully about how you feel about being parented again, or whether yours are capable of NOT acting like you are a minor if you are living in their house.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are both good points (donna & edna). Moving back home for a summer would be tough. After I got back from Germany for a year I lived at home for a whole two weeks or so, and I got driven crazy already. That's one of the reasons why moving home hasn't been too much of an option, except that I could possibly save money.

I don't know if the school has an emergency loan system, but since I am physically able to pay the deposit, I'm sure I wouldn't get anything. Plus I'm really tired of loans - I'm up to around 25,000 for my four years. It sounds like it's a good program though for the right people.

As far as the amount of credit card debt I would add, I'm not sure. I need to buy a nice black skirt for a proffessional presentation I have to give before he comes, possibly gas money, and maybe a few other things. It depends a lot on how much money he is able to bring with him. I don't want to put over $200 on there at all when he is here. The only reason I might have to is if I can't make the rent for June in time at my new place. But if that is the case I may just be able to turn it in a day late or something for a small fee, and would do that instead.

I keep telling myself that some things are more important than credit card debt, jobs possibly being angry at you (my work isn't giving me days off that I need off right now - like my college graduation day or the last weekend my fiance is here..this may change but I told them if i get scheduled and can't find a replacement I won't be working. Let them fire me if they want), and (gasp) school. It isn't hard to remind myself of this most of the time..the other day I just sort of panicked.

And yes, I'm pulled in A LOT of directions right now. The two things I daydream about are my fiance arriving (less than 1 month!!!) and then not having homework ever. again. seriously..i day dream about working 10-15 hours six days a week this summer, and coming home and not having to do homework. hee hee..my life is quite pathetic.

Thank you guys so much. I promise to try not to freak out anymore.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I just wanted to suggest that you not sacrifice your main, bread-winning hours at Pepsi to work more at the zoo right now. You can keep your commitment to work a few hours on the weekend but if they try to get you to miss your regular job to work more for them, I'd tell them no.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sari - that is my plan more or less. Since Pepsi makes more money I'm going to work there four 10 hour days a week and put in 2 days a week at the zoo, then I'll take a 7th day off. Most of my friends will be gone during the summer, and my fiance is thousands of miles away, so working so much is okay because there isn't much else to do. Plus I'm hoping to start my 10 hour days early enough so I can still get done at 5 or 6 in the evening, giving me the evening hours. :) I'm so used to be constantly busy now with school that it is just like working 10 hour days anyways. And if I do it this way, then I will also get time each week for experience at the zoo, which will be good. And don't worry, some weekends etc I'll take off in order to visit my parents or have free time or whatever. But generally i want to work 4 days at pepsi for 10 hours a day and 2 days at the zoo (those days are 10-15 hours).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts