Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a tried and true recipe for porcupines (meatballs/rice)
If you have a good one, please let me know.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Porcupine Meatballs

This recipe only requires a few ingredients and is easy to prepare.

1 package (6.8 ounces) beef-flavored rice mix
1 egg, beaten (I use egg whites only)
1 pound ground beef, lean
2-1/2 cups boiling water

Set contents of rice seasoning packet aside. In a bowl, combine the rice and beaten egg. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 1 inch balls. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the meatballs on all sides. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the reserved seasoning packet and boiling water. Add to skillet; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender. About 8 servings for around $4 for the entire recipe or 50 cents a serving.

I have also done this with ground chicken & ground turkey using the chicken rice mix.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I was looking through an old cookbook I bought at the thrift store and came across another. I couldn't believe the timing. It's funny because the title of the page says "When the Pocketbook's Pooped" haha

This is from The Tower Kitchen cookbook

1/2 cup raw rice
2 T chopped onion
2 T chopped green pepper
1 t salt
1/2 t celery salt
1/8 t garlic salt
1 lb. ground beef
2 cups tomato juice
2 T Sugar
1 T worcestershire sauce
1/2 t cinnamon
4 whole cloves

rinse rice. Combine rice, onion, green pepper, salt, celeft salt and garlic salt and mix well. Add ground beef and mix gently to combine.

Shape meat mixture into small balls about 2 inches in diameter.

Combine tomato juice, sugar, worcestershire sauce, cinnamon, and cloves in skillet and bring to a boil.

Place meatballs in tomato sauce. Cover tightly and cook over low heat for 50 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts