Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My mom used to make pork chops in the crock pot when I was a kid and they were delicious. If I remember correctly, all she did was cook them in applesauce all day and then serve over rice. Does this sound familiar to anyone, and does anyone have any other ideas? Someone gave me some pork chops and I'd like to use them, but don't really like the taste of pork. The applesauce masked it well, and I like the idea of a crock.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I cook ours in beer-- and no, they don't have a strong beer taste! Just put in the pork chops, some chopped onions, and one bottle of beer and cook on low all day. The pork chops come out so tender they'll practically be falling off the bone.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I think the applesauce sounds wonderful! I'm willing to give it a shot!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I do mine in the cp with salsa. I think the applesauce sounds really good too. :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I made pork chops in the crockpot yesterday. I browned them on both sides. Then I mixed 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup with a can of evaporated milk and sliced onions. Put the chops in the crockpot, pour the soup mixture over them and cook on low 6-8 hours. They were delicious. I used the gravy for mashed potatoes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Pork chops cooked in apple sauce sounds like it would be good :lip:, though I'm not sure how my family would react to chops cooked in one of their favorite desserts. :laugh: Here's one of the ways I do pork chops in the crock pot... it makes a yummy cheesy gravy that masks that pork flavor. :thumb:

4-6 potatoes
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cheese soup
1/2 small onion diced fine
pork chops

Peel and slice the tators into 1/2 inch medallion slices. Layer those on the bottom of the crock, sprinkle them with the onions, add the soups... kinda stir the soups and cover the tators and onions. Lay the chops on top. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I made pork chops in the crockpot yesterday. I browned them on both sides. Then I mixed 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup with a can of evaporated milk and sliced onions. Put the chops in the crockpot, pour the soup mixture over them and cook on low 6-8 hours. They were delicious. I used the gravy for mashed potatoes.
Made this tonight. I forgot to brown them before I put them in, but I tried it and its sooo good. Thanks

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's so funny that someone rejuvenated this post. I now make pork chops all the time in the crock pot! :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Dinner was a success... The left over "gravy" was a little to thin so we didn't eat it with the Mash Potatoes. BUT Used the leftover gravy, along with left over broccoli, mash potatoes (thickened the gravy) and two pork chops and have a Awesome soup for lunch tomorrow!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I tried chops in the crockpot for the first time awhile back, this is the recipe I use, we really like it!

6 boneless pork chops
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup ketchup
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste

Place chops in CP. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over pork chops.

Cook on low for 6 hours.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pork chops cooked in apple sauce sounds like it would be good :lip:, though I'm not sure how my family would react to chops cooked in one of their favorite desserts. :laugh: Here's one of the ways I do pork chops in the crock pot... it makes a yummy cheesy gravy that masks that pork flavor. :thumb:

4-6 potatoes
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cheese soup
1/2 small onion diced fine
pork chops

Peel and slice the tators into 1/2 inch medallion slices. Layer those on the bottom of the crock, sprinkle them with the onions, add the soups... kinda stir the soups and cover the tators and onions. Lay the chops on top. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.

Thanks, I'm givin' this one a try tomorrow! (It'd be today but the chops are frozen solid!!)

~~

·
Registered
539 Posts
I tried chops in the cp with applesauce and they tasted good, but they did not look appetizing (they looked sorta gray and fuzzy.) However, next time I will try browning them first. Do you just do a quick sear in the pan with butter???

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just throw the chops in the crock and pour bbq sauce in and cook them they fall off the bone and they are wonderful

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We make them a number of ways:

1. Pickled pork chops - cover with pickle juice
2. Kraut and chops- cover with sauerkraut
3. BBQ chops - cover with BBQ Sauce
4. Hawaiian pork chops - cover with crushed pineapple
5. Pork chop dinner - (also can be done with sausage links) pork chops with potatoes and sweet potato slices with 2 cups water, 2 tbs. honey, onion, lemon pepper seasoning.

love the crockpot- working mom's best friend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts