Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG,yesterday, our friends 5 yr old fell through the window screen on the third floor of their home and landed face first on concrete. He is sedated and heavily medicated for pain, seizures etc. There doesn't seem to be any spinal concerns but brain swelling is the overriding factor and he is on watch for the next 3 days. The contusions would be similar to a shaken baby effect where the brain would have micro-tears and bleeds on the front and back sides where it bounced off the skull.

His facial bones show about 20 different fractures and if he continues to progress without brain swelling they will be planning reconstruction starting next week... there abouts.

On the positive side, he is able to move his limbs on command and the MD says his eyes are clear. I'm amazed that this little boy is still alive.

Please keep this child and his family in your thoughts and prayers over the next few days, his name is Desmond.

Reactions: Rebookie

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Seizure meds are finished, he received blood and platelets, the intercranial pressure is down and he is alert.

He fights the RN's when they try to check his neural status/eyes by kicking and pushing them away. He gets stories read to him and seems to be wanting comfort from his folks.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Prayers for Desmond and his family.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
oh gosh- gave me chills to read. Poor lil guy. Prayers going out.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Many prayers headed towards that family. What a strong little boy to be fighting and thriving after something so terrible.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Lots of prayers for little Desmond & family! I hope this baby pulls through and recovers quickly. What a terrible thing to happen to such a little child.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Sending up prayers right away. What a horrible thing to happen, please keep us posted how he is doing.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Holy cow! How terrible for that little boy and his family....
Prayers & thoughts for everyone involved!

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all so much, I really appreciate the prayers, wishes and overall support. It still amazes me that this child survived the fall and I am hoping he continues to recover as well as he has been this first day.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I will be praying for a full recovery. It is a miracle that he is responding as well as he is. He must be a very tough, little boy.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Hope he is improving. What a horrible thing to have happen. :(

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
His Dad reports he is doing very well. There is the anticipated bruising of his brain but that was expected. :) He was deemed well enough to have x-rays taken of everything today but no news on anything else that is broken.

He has deliberate movement on the left and some uncontrolled movements on his right. They will place a PIC line in and remove the central line. This should cut down on the risks of infection.

Today, he was seen by the neurosurgeons, the plastic surgeons and the general surgeons.

It is amazing the "regenerative powers" that kids have at his age.

The family is in the wait and see stage and all the grandparents are there so the family has good support but it is going to be a long recovery for this little guy.

Thank you all for your goodness.
Cea

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
praying for Desmond and his family.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
prayers said !

1 - 20 of 54 Posts