Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We may be possiably going to one income. By dh back has been really bothering him in the last 6 weeks. Since he has been working at the age of 17 or 18 he has been working in construction. That is all that he knows. Well in the last 6 weeks when he comes home when he sits down it seems like he just becomes stiff. It even hurts when he trys to walk at frist. He is afarid that he might have to have back surgery. Which we have no medical insureance nor have the money for right now. He has had only one surgery in his life. That was for carpol tunnel. He had both wrist done at the same time. He thinks that he may be out for atleast two weeks. He has seen what my dm has gone through. Because she has had two back surgeries in a year. The last time that she had it done she had to be on permant disability. Just because how much damage was done to her back. She can not stand or sit for long periords of time. Plus she has lost some nerve damage to her lower back. To the point that it has affected how high she can raise her arms when it is cold outside. WHen that happens she can't raise them at all. I know that amy surgery can be scary. I have had 3 majore and 1 minor. He has mentiones that he might have to have back surgery several times. No matter what he has tried it hasn't worked. He still come home in pain. I can see it in his face. :spam: :nrant: :yikes: Sorry for the rant. The only reason that I think that he is still working is because we need the money. But I don't what to tell him. I kinda off feel like a lose of words. I guess because I thought in the back of my mind that he is supposed to be the strong one and not get sick.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Sorry to hear about your DH hope he feels better.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the rant. I had to get it out. I didn't want dh to know how I felt. I wanted to try to be supportive for him. I have asked him in the last couple of days how his back is feeling. He said it is feeling a little bit better. But His right leg is going numb from time to time. Which is not a good sign. Because that is how my dm started. He has been wearing a back brace. He is going to keep wearing it for awhile. So hopefully we can get over this hump frist before we know weather or not if he has to have back surgery. He is supposed to be getting a higher paying job next week. So we will just have to wait and see what happens. But thanks for your support.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Would you or your husband consider chiropractic treatment? I always view numbness in the legs as a pinched nerve first, before anything else. It sounds like sciatic nerve. Of course I am no expert, but I have had sciatic nerve trouble before and the chiropractor helped. No surgery and feeling better. Has your husband's back been x rayed?
Just putting my 2 cents in, but hoping things work out for you and your husband will be feeling better soon.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Does your hubby do any back stretching or back strengthening exercises???
I ask because my hubby has found doing this helpful.

For years my hubby worked in construction. He's a plumber, so there's lots of stress on the lower back. His back was really bad for years. There were times when he could barely move and once he was able to get up he walked like a 90 yr old man.

Turns out he has a herniated disk. The Dr. said he could just learn to live with the pain or have the operation. He didn't want to go with the operation just yet. The Dr. gave him some excerises to do first thing in the morning when he gets up. It helps stretch the muscles, etc.... Hubby found this helpful. He also did them when he got home from work if his back was bothering him.

He ended up getting a job in one of the big car companies on maintenance, so he doesn't work physically as hard as he did in construction so his back hasn't bothered him for ages. At least not bad enough that he really complains. He says there's still some pain, but it's livable.

See if doing some gentle stretching etc....... might help. It's worth a try.
HTH,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to hear that he is in a lot of pain. I don't know how it all works - but is he eligible for disability or worker's comp or any of that?

My husband is a plumber and so I worry about how it will be as he gets older (he is 35 now and has been doing it since he left high school).

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I hope he feels better - :hug2:

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear this. Just a few suggestions as far as back care. I have 3 degenerating disks. Regular medical drs kept me in pain for years with treatment becauseI refuse surgery at my age. I can't even tell you how much relief I've gotten from a good chiropractor and the inversion table she set me up with. Over 8 years of serious pain with med dr's and in no time flat she has me comfy and happy. Its worth a try!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Sorry to hear what you're going through, I'm going through the same thing with my DH except right now his pain doesn't sound quite as severe as your DH.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:thanx: He has been to a chrioriparctor(sp)
I don't know that if it really worked. It if it did only for a short time. The one that he dose go to have work on his back I think has told him that he dose have a pinced nerve.I really don't think that he is ready for surgery yet. If that is what this is going to lead to. He has been wearing a brace for the last three days. Yesterday he did say that he thought that it was helping. I just want to thank you guys for all of the advace. I don't think that he is ready to go out and dance any time soon though. LOL:grouphug2 :mdance:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sammey, would your DH consider a massage therapist? I have sciatica, and when it first hit me I could barely walk, my regular doctor just kept giving me meds because I wouldn't hear of surgery, either.

Lucky for me one of DH's old friends happened by, and he happened to be a NMT. Neuro-Muscular Massage Therapist, after 4 sessions with him, I was up and walking and haven't looked back!

I highly recommend it for anyone.

ETA - 60$ per massage beats the cost of a hospital any day! :hurray:

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
:thanx: He has been to a chrioriparctor(sp)
I don't know that if it really worked. It if it did only for a short time. The one that he dose go to have work on his back I think has told him that he dose have a pinced nerve.I really don't think that he is ready for surgery yet. If that is what this is going to lead to. He has been wearing a brace for the last three days. Yesterday he did say that he thought that it was helping. I just want to thank you guys for all of the advace. I don't think that he is ready to go out and dance any time soon though. LOL:grouphug2 :mdance:

I'm glad to hear he thinks he feels a bit better. Chiro caretakes abit to work. I at first went 3 x aweek.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm sorry your hubby is in so much pain. I want to encourage you that not all back surgery ends up badly. My mom has degenerative disc disease, and her back was really bad. She did exercises and therapy and meds, but finally, she needed the surgery. It changed her life for the better. She did have a while to recover (a few weeks), but her life has been so improved. Her back doesn't hurt all the time like it used to.

While I do hope your husband doesn't have to have surgery, I just want you to know that it can be a good thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Have you ever read 'healing back pain' by John Sarno? Its interesting, all about the mind-body connection with back pain. It got great reviews, was a best seller and I saw it available used at amazon.com. Just a thought, couldn't hurt to try. My dh has back problems so he goes to the chiropractor too, it does help a lot, and he does stretching and meditation for the stress. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts