Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an exercise physiologist so if you have any questions, ask them on this thread.

I bike 3 times a week 20 miles and I strength train 3 times a week, 2 days at the gym and 1 day at home. In the winter, I mainly workout at home.

What do you do?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm doing the P90X program. Although after the 3rd week, I'm getting kind of bored with it. I'm going to break it up with my 10 minute trainer and then I also just ordered Brazilian Butt Lift. I'd like to go to exercise classes at the gym (free), but my husband has unpredictable hours so I wouldn't be able to go regularly.

-a girlfriend and I started indoor rock climbing/bouldering. We should be able to do this maybe 3-4 times a month. The Outdoor Rec on base has a great rate of unlimited usage of the facility for $30 for 6 months.

-As long as the weather isn't scorching hot and my toddlers aren't sick, we walk to the playground each day.

ETA: I also got a free bicycle from someone. It's with Outdoor Rec right now getting maintenance done on it since it sat in her garage for a few years. Once it's out, I'll be biking to the commissary whenever I need just a few items.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I like to mix up my workouts and go to different classes at my gym. It keeps me from getting bored and burned out. I typically try to squeeze 4-5 classes/week. Current favorites are cardio kickboxing, a dance class, and yoga. As the weather cools off, I'll be spending more time outside on the bike trails.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Working out with a trainer at my gym. I WAS going to start doing yoga twice a week, starting this week, but I fell LAST week and sprained my wrist, so hope to start NEXT week! :) My trainer, based on my request, does a lot of upper body and core exercises, using flexible bands, medicine balls, and a mix of free weights and machines. We also do a lot of basic floor exercises (crunches, planks, push-ups, etc). Right now, we are trying for 3x week, 1 hour each session. We got screwed up this week and only got two in, but hopefully, again, by next week we'll both be back on track. :)

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Stairs, laundry, vacuuming, gardening.... seems to work for me.

Reactions: Ms Frugal

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think being active in every day activities is a wonderful thing, and I can maintain a healthy weight from my daily activities alone, especially if I incorporate frequent walks, trips to the park, etc. However, it's not enough to maintain an overall fitness level that works for me. I'm not likely to break a sweat while doing our laundry, but after a trip to the gym I can literally wring my top out over the sink.

Life is drastically different when I have a really good exercise routine in place. My whole body is flatter, firmer and more flexible. Hiking the stairs to my 6th floor office actually feels good. My energy level and concentration goes up. I'm such a believer in the benefits of exercise.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Jumping in. I run 2.5-3 miles/day 5xweek. I need to add weights though. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jumping in. I run 2.5-3 miles/day 5xweek. I need to add weights though. Any suggestions?
@joyofsix
The least expensive way would be to buy some dumbbells and do your own weight program and I can help you with that. You can also buy some weights and get to weight training videos.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I try to get in 2-5 miles running or hiking every other day and a once-in-a-while workout on my Total Gym. I have to work on getting more Total Gym in the mix. I run/hike barefoot.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm very limited (mostly out of fear of pain and hurting myself) as to what I do! I have a bad knee, diagnosed with degeneration of the medial meniscus, significant loss of cartilage, tendonitis of the patella and the beginning of arthritis in my knee. I've spent the last 2 years dealing with PT and the orthopedic doctor. I'm too young for any kind of surgery according to my doctor so I'm trying to power through it and strengthen my legs to help with my knee. Right now I walk each morning and then ride the stationary bike in the evenings. I do a little weight training but mostly upper body since my leg is so weak!! I plan to start swimming soon as well!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
@joyofsix
The least expensive way would be to buy some dumbbells and do your own weight program and I can help you with that. You can also buy some weights and get to weight training videos.
I've got 8 lb weights I use for my biceps/triceps. I just don't know what else to do with them and the internet is overwhelming with stuff. I want it reputable, KWIM

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I will post a workout for you tomorrow. BTW, I'm about to walk on my treadmill for 30minutes and will listen to Dave Ramsey for extra motivation today.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Ran 3 miles this morning. I'll do some yoga later today after I get some work done.

Reactions: thesightofoneself

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Thanks Ms Frugal. PM'd you

1 - 20 of 135 Posts