Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this out this afternoon at the post office. I buy my stamps by the roll and was gonna buy another roll when the clerk asked me if I would use up the roll of .39 stamps before May. When I asked her why, she told me that they are going up to .41 in May.

Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up. Oh, and if anyone you know is a StarWars collector, they will have Starwars stamps coming out in May also. My son works for the postal service in Indiana and he is a big StarWars collector, so I'm sure he will be all over this.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
heard something about "freedom stamps" has anyone else heard of these? somehting abut them being .41 ea and will be the "free pass" stamps when rates go up in the future..

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm, postal clerk didn't say anything about that. Will have to check with my son to see what it's about.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
The postal service has come up with a winner in the Forever stamp. I get so incredibly frustrated by having to purchase the penny stamps when they raise the rates and it seems like they go up quicker each time. I do think it is still a bargain to be able to mail a letter anywhere in the states for even .41 cents. That is a lot of work to pick it up and sort it and then truck/fly it to a different post office and sort it and deliver it all for .41 cents. :) I love free email but sometimes letter writing is just so nice too.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i heard about the forever stamp also, i think it is a good idea!

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I would think it would save the P.O. money too. It must cost a bundle to print all those bazillion extra 1-2 cent stamps.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I dont use stamps much since I pay all my bills online so that's a plus but I must say the new forever stamp is really nice :)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I say stock up on Forever stamps while they're still $.41 so that when they're $.43, $.45, etc. you're still mailing with stamps you paid $.41 for. It's like a sale! ;)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I love free email but sometimes letter writing is just so nice too.
My dad's a graphic designer so he works with computers daily, yet he will not latch on to email and still writes me letters by hand. Of course they take a little longer and cost a little more to get here from Germany but he likes it better all the same.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have about 150 .37 stamps {army issued}. I just bought 150 .2 stamps to meet the difference. Lol, looks like I will need to put on three stamps just to cover one letter.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
I'm gonna get a bunch of Forever Stamps...I get tired of trying to add the "extra" ones to make it the current cost. LOOOOOVE to penpal, though! :D

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I love handwriting a letter to my penpals as well...its kinda like a sinful pleasure.

In Canada, I found out that we have the PERMANENT stamp. Same idea....when the rates go up I dont need to buy penny stamps to make up the difference. And if I buy them now, I will have them on hand for when the new year rings in and the rate goes up another penny :lol: Bargain!!!!

I had asked the clerk how that would make them $$$ she informed me that b/c they have that stamp out they will introduce other 'pretty' stamps and 'theme' stamps which will attract the buyer to those and away from the Permanent stamps....um while listening to her I said Id rather save money then send a pretty stamp thats only going to get tossed in the garbage etc. She agreed, the postal service will lose money vs making it as hoped.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I knew the price of stamps was going up, I didn't know it was going up so soon. I better use mine up, I want to buy as few 2cent stamps as possible, if any.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I use online billing. Saves stamps and envelopes. Seems like everytime the wind blows stamps are going up. Thank goodness for e-mail!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
I just hope that people realize that the cost of the Forever stamp will also go up with the next rate increase. However, if you already have one, you can use it without extra stamps. So, once it goes on sale, people are going to need to stockpile the Forever stamp, otherwise they'll still have to pay more when the rates go up again! :)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I just hope that people realize that the cost of the Forever stamp will also go up with the next rate increase. However, if you already have one, you can use it without extra stamps. So, once it goes on sale, people are going to need to stockpile the Forever stamp, otherwise they'll still have to pay more when the rates go up again! :)
:yeah:

I'll be putting some away. Makes me wonder what they'll be worth in 20, 30, 40, years????? Might stick a couple of books away for the kids since this will be thier first release.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
When I was at the post office last week the clerk I talked to said the forever stamp would probably cost a little more to begin with, but that would be justified by rate increases. Truthfully I still like to mail my letters and bills through the USPS. To me it still feels safer than having my info out on the internet.

·
8,714 Posts
I'll be putting some away. Makes me wonder what they'll be worth in 20, 30, 40, years????? Might stick a couple of books away for the kids since this will be thier first release.

~I was thinking about the investment opportunity too. Stamps have gone up $.16 since I was little. I may be crunching the numbers wrong but even if we saw a similar increase we'd be better off keeping the money in the market or CD's. It's the wonder of compound interest that you don't get on appreciated objects.~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts