Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to a potluck tonight and am trying the following recipe: BLT Pasta Salad - All Recipes It's made with ingredients that I already have on hand, it looks easy and sounds tasty. (Will let you know how it turns out.)

What do you make for potlucks? Do you have a favorite standby that you rely on time and time again? Are you famous for a certain dish and are always asked to bring it?

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
I seem to take a different thing each time. We have picnics and cookouts here. I've taken coleslaw, bratwurst, and baked beans in recent memory. I think the beans were the biggest hit.

Reactions: Luckybustert

·
Registered
595 Posts
If it is for a picnic I usually take deviled eggs as many as I can hardboil. I don't care how many I take I never bring any home.

I like making chili for winter time potlucks. I don't go to spicy because of different taste.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I buy pork butt or shoulder when it's on sale, and then make this, Pulled Pork (Crock Pot) - 131018 - Recipezaar . Everyone asks if I will be bringing it to the potluck. I do have a newer crockpot, so mine does not take as long to cook as the original recipe says - I would say about 8 to 10 hrs for the pork to cook to shredding, and then I cook it with the barbecue sauce for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
What I bring depends on where I am going and who I will be with.

General pot luck - calzones (I don't bring them to events Mom will be at because she usually makes them)

family pot luck/informal - ice box cake (something my family loves and no one seems to get it right but me)

family pot luck/fancier - Kahlua trifle (costly, so reserved for VERY special occasions)

I'm usually the family dessert reserve :lol: everyone else usually brings the 1001 different types of salad and everyone assumes I am bringing the dessert

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Pot Luck items I tend to bring:

* greek tri-colour pasta salad: vinegarette, sliced blk olives, red onions, diced tomatoes & feta...sometimes green onion for colour
* country style potato salad
* hm slabcake - boxed cake mix, two rectangle pans worth and lay them flat on a tray and frost it from a can and make it look like one cake
* fresh fruit salad
* crudite/veggies & dip platter - hm dips not just onion or ranch - bean dips etc.

·
Registered
689 Posts
For pot lucks, my wife makes -
green bean casserole
rice pudding
deviled eggs
in season - xmas cookies

ME - I take a bag of corn chips and a jar of salsa :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Corn Salad:

3 cans whole kernel corn, drained very well
2 roma tomatoes, diced
green onion tops, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 envlope Ranch Dip Mix (not the dressing mix)
3 or 4 heaping "blobs" mayonaise (not Miracle whip)

best if refrigerated overnight. Be sure corn is drained very well.

Really easy & no need to heat up the kitchen in the summer.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Hummus or black bean dip, baked beans, fruit or veggie salad.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Depends on the potluck. . . when my kids were little, I always took a crockpot full of hotdogs, buns and condiments. Seems people always took things with "weird" stuff in it, and my kids could never find anything to eat. . . so, I took hotdogs and they were always a hit, even with adults.

I take oriental salad quite a bit, any kind of pasta salad (generally just a few frozen veggies, pasta, cheese, and some salad dressing).

Our church has a potluck every month - and we take a main dish, side, dessert every time but it varies. . . meatloaf is always popular, chicken and noodles, etc. . . desserts are usually brownies, fruit pies, cookies - depending on what's in my pantry.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I usually make a chicken casserole as a main dish and then for desert I will make Hermits or cocoa cookies. Both of the desert recipes are from really old cook books. I usually put copies of the recipes in front of the cookies and there are never copies left.

Oddly enough, everone requests that I bring tea. They say mine is the best ever. I had a cousin even request that I make the tea for his wedding.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I love to switch it up and take all sorts of different things.

At the water department, we have pot lucks every month or so--
I've taken my 'Heart-Stopping Good Hamburger Dip', cruncy radish dip, veggie trays, garlic dip, and pasta salad. For family dinners, I have taken a very simple, very easy broccoli side dish so the kids would have a veggie to eat since my sil made creamed brussell sprouts.

I also made a DELICIOUS chocolate fruit basket cake.

·
27,948 Posts
For those who haven't shared the recipes, can you? My mouth is watering over here! Those recipes really would make this thread great! Thank you!!

I like taking this salad by Giada De Laurentis. I cut way back on the oil and salt and sometimes add feta to the salad. What's nice about taking this salad to a pot luck (without my added feta) is that it doesn't mind sitting out on the table for a bit. Goes especaillay well with grilled chicken.

Orzo Salad

4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups orzo
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups red and yellow teardrop tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
About 3/4 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette, recipe follows
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pour the broth into a heavy large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the orzo. Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer. Transfer the orzo to a large wide bowl and toss until the orzo cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil, mint, and enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.

Red Wine Vinaigrette
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.
Yield: 1 3/4 cups

<!-- <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:trackback="http://madskills.com/public/xml/rss/module/trackback/"> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.thecookingadventuresofchefpaz.com/2007/06/05/orzo-salad-presto-pasta-nights/" dc:identifier="http://www.thecookingadventuresofchefpaz.com/2007/06/05/orzo-salad-presto-pasta-nights/" dc:title="Orzo Salad: Presto Pasta Nights" trackback:ping="http://www.thecookingadventuresofchefpaz.com/2007/06/05/orzo-salad-presto-pasta-nights/trackback/" /></rdf:RDF> -->

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Heart Stoppingly Good Hamburger Dip:

1 can cream of mushroom soup
8 oz cream cheese
16 oz sour cream
1 lb mexican velveeta
1 lb pepper jack velveeta
1 lb hamburger
1 onion, diced

Brown hamburger with your onion. Drain the grease off. Cube your cheeses. Mix all otgether in crock pot and let melt. Eat with tortilla chips.

Delicious. Named Heart-Stopping good because it clogs your arteries.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to a potluck tonight and am trying the following recipe: BLT Pasta Salad - All Recipes It's made with ingredients that I already have on hand, it looks easy and sounds tasty. (Will let you know how it turns out.)

What do you make for potlucks? Do you have a favorite standby that you rely on time and time again? Are you famous for a certain dish and are always asked to bring it?
OMG the BLT pasta salad was to die for! Instead of the lowfat ranch dressing I used a jar of the refrigerated jalapeno ranch dressing. I found the pasta absorbed that a little too well for my liking, so I also added about 1/2 cup of mayonnaise just to moisten. It was a very popular dish at the potluck - no leftovers to bring home!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I seem to take a different thing each time. We have picnics and cookouts here. I've taken coleslaw, bratwurst, and baked beans in recent memory. I think the beans were the biggest hit.
Glad to hear your baked beans were a big hit! How do you make them?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have done brown bread with a crock pot of baked beans and kilbasa. I have also done frozen meatballs and a couple of cans of spaghetti sauce in the crock pot. I have made antipasto pasta salad too. box of pasta usually shells or ziti cooked and rinsed with cold water, bottle of italian dressing to taste, can of sliced olives, diced red onion, peppers, cherry tomato, and sliced salami and any type of cubed cheese or just grated cheese on top. Always goes quick.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have done brown bread with a crock pot of baked beans and kilbasa.
This sounds awesome to me! I love brown bread (usually have it for breakfast with cream cheese on it), and baked beans & kielbasa are always a good combination!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts