Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright - little guy is doing great with urinating (at home) but refuses to have a bm in the toilet. I am a little confused because he did it a few times - months ago. I have been trying to figure out if there are sensory triggers with the restroom but nothing seems to be working. He is terrified of public restrooms so that is not even on the horizon at the moment. Any ideas or tips on the transition from diaper for BM to toilet?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Does he do it at home? I haven't potty trained a boy. But with DD I sat her down on the potty during her usual time to BM in front of the TV. She'd do it without even realizing what happened. We'd cheer...etc. a few times of that she got the idea. Next moved it to the bathroom.

Set up a reward he likes. Hers was stickers and chocolate.

DD hates automatic toilets in restrooms. Placing something over the sensor will keep it from going off. I also found a potty seat that fits inside the regular toilet seat at home, so she's used to sitting on a toilet, not just a little separate potty. We used both a separate seat and one that fits our toilet at the same time, giving her the option to choose which one to use. Eventually she didn't want the little potty seat anymore.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I didn't have boys, but with the girls I just watched them very closely for visual cues and also started recognizing a pattern of day that they would have to do that. Practice and never scold. Take them frequently, lots of praise even for just trying.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is 3 1/2. We have been working on this for over a year. His doctor said not to worry, some children in his situation can take up to age 7 to be fully potty trained. Just wanted to know if others in the Spectrum boat had been able to work out some hints that might shorten that time line. He will sit on the potty and urinates without issues. He will say "poop" and sit on the toilet but he holds it and won't void unless he is in a diaper. The other night we were back and forth to the toilet every 5 mins for 4 hours (he was leading us to the bathroom for it). I put him in a diaper right before bed and he voided immediately.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
He is 3 1/2. We have been working on this for over a year. His doctor said not to worry, some children in his situation can take up to age 7 to be fully potty trained. Just wanted to know if others in the Spectrum boat had been able to work out some hints that might shorten that time line. He will sit on the potty and urinates without issues. He will say "poop" and sit on the toilet but he holds it and won't void unless he is in a diaper. The other night we were back and forth to the toilet every 5 mins for 4 hours (he was leading us to the bathroom for it). I put him in a diaper right before bed and he voided immediately.
You son sounds like mine was and your story soulds so much like ours that I will tell you our story and what we did.

My son was delayed bm training. Our pedartric gastronomy doc did tell us up to 7 was normal.
My son caught on by his 5th birthday

Here is what our pediactric gastro. doc said for us to do

1)He prescribed. Minreral oil to taken twice daily ( I would not do this unless a doctor okays it)
2) Had him sit on the toliet at certain times that he might normally go like after lunch
3) makes this fun time we told jokes read books sang song and such
4) we blew up balloons while on the toliet. Blowing up a balloon sometimes help push the bm
5) reward for any amount in toliet ( we had a treasure box with toys treats etc. He could choose from

And the ped. Gastro doc said "remember praise praise praise him and patience mom"

Hugs

·
Registered
489 Posts
Listen to your doctor. He's still very young. Lots of patience, repetition, praise when something works, and a calm attitude/demeanor. And don't even let your mind worry about public restrooms yet. The auto-flush toilets, garish lighting and loud noises are stressful for many children (and some adults!).

·
Registered
217 Posts
my dd potty trained by bandaids (her poor father looked like he's been rolled in glass lol) and i'd take the potty with us if we were going more than 30 mins from home- only had one incident where she used it. ds didn't have issue either- he liked to sink cheerios and get stickers for potty time. for him I would have him sit on the potty while I used the bathroom- we'd talk, I'd tell him stories. when we went out in public and he had to use the toilet he was so small I'd bring the toilet/potty seat with us. good luck and also someone recommended a schedule- try that, and talk to him about pooping he could be scared for somereason.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My oldest daughter is autistic and did the same thing. She was so freaked out to poo in the potty. We offered her 5 M&M's if she did it and let me tell you there was no stopping her after that ;)

She got 1 M&M for trying
2 M&M's for peeing
5 M&M's for poo

She was potty trained in a day!

Reactions: josantoro and tigo

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Just wantd to give OP an another Big Hug.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
sending hugs, I can be so hard, DS2 is 5 and autistic, he trained when he was 3.5 and trained instantly for weeing..bowel movements were a different story, he was scared to sit on the toilet and used to lean against it instead, he would hold for up to a week before he went and it was a very traumatic event!..over a year he got used to sitting on the toilet and will go no problem now although he likes you to be in the room with him..he will never go BM anywhere outside the home although he will happily wee in anyones toilet.

I have no advice but just give it time, he will do it in his own time and to his own schedule xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts