Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process on potty training my youngest. She just turned three and has been sitting on the potty and going for almost a year. However this is pretty much only when someone tells her to go or like when she was in preschool going when her friends were going.. She has me perplexed because it does not bother her to be wet or to have a dirty pull-up. Even when she is having an underwear day she could care less about having wet pants on. She has her own pink potty that I have downstairs so we don't have to run upstairs and will use it if I tell her to sit down and use it. I guess the most fursterating part of all of this is that she wants to wear underwear and wants to go on the potty. Its really cold here now or I would try the no pants thing while her brothers are at school but I have a feeling that having wet run down her leg wouldn't bother her either. (I wouldn't have to worry about carpet because we don't have any) I was just wondering if any one had any other suggestions. (We've tried rewards like stickers put that wears off after like two times)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
We used Hershey's kisses for rewards, and they worked like a charm when nothing else would. Our kids don't get sweets, so to get one hershey's kiss, let alone the fact that they got one every time they went was huge! Sometimes you just have to find what motivates them.

My youngest, who is the most strong-headed of the two, potty trained, then basically, decided he just didn't want to waste his time to go to the bathroom, so we started having lots of accidents even though we knew he was trained, and knew he knew when he had to go!

We treated it like anything else he would do to disobey. We would take toys away when he had an accident, and they would go on the top shelf of the bathroom closet. Then, when he would successfully use the potty, he would get a toy back. It may sound harsh, but this was months after he was potty trained. It was just him being strong willed and not wanting to do something. So, I wouldn't recommend it while potty training, but if it is a matter of wills, then something like this might help!

But the Hershey's kisses went a long way in our household!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
hersheys kisses went a long way in my house too. I kept them in sight in the bathroom, but out of reach as a visual motivator.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I recently read about a women who ran potty camps and was paid to potty train in a couple of days. She made the children clean up their own messes (consequence based learning). I'm not sure if this would help you daughter (wouldn't have helped my youngest as she love to clean anyway). Otherwise, I would just start potty her on the potty every 1/2 hour and if she complains about it, explain to her why you are doing it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I potty trained my dd for a year....she was kind of the same way and didn't want to be bothered with going to the toilet to pee. I tried everything. Just be patient with her, keep putting her on the potty and giving lots of praise for success. I might even try not making a big fuss over accidents for a week or so, maybe she likes the negative attention for some reason. Kids are interesting like that sometimes. Keep up the good work and remember she won't be going off to college in diapers.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I agree with mommytrap... she'll get it eventually and praise for success will go a long way. My ds was closer to 3 1/2 when he potty trained even though his sister was there by 2 1/2, kids are all different and are ready at different times.

I do think having her help clean up the messes is a good idea too, not as a punishment but as a way to help her see that this is a lot of work and using the potty would be much easier.

You might also try keeping the potty in the living room (or wherever she's playing) instead of hidden away in the bathroom, the visual reminder may help her. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts