Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I was doing some searching and couldn't find a thread that truly answered my questions so here I am asking...

Do you use powder or liquid laundry soap? How much of it do you use?

I am wondering if it is cheaper to use powder compared to liquid or is the cost about the same? Does name brand soap clean better than a "cheaper" brand?

Thanks in advance for any input you have!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use liquid. I don't like powder, as I sometimes find it leaves a residue on black and dark blue jeans.
I usually use generic liquid, about half of what it says to use per load.
Thanks to coupons I have name brand liquid now and I still use only half of it.
I find that name brand makes my clothes cleaner and fresher smelling.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I use powdered... but I make it myself.

Reactions: SandNOceanGirl

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I make my own powdered and liquid laundry soaps. DH likes the liquid I make with Fels Naptha soap, 1/2 - 1 cup per load. I prefer no scent, so I generally use a powder I make from Ivory Soap, Borax, and washing soda; 1 - 2 T per load. The liquid comes out cheaper per load, but I think they both clean about the same.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I use liquid as I only wash in cold water and I have found that powdered detergent sometimes will not dissolve completely in cold water and leaves soapy looking lines on dark clothes.

I usually buy what is on sale that I can get with coupons at a low price. Whether it's generic or name brand doesn't matter as long as the cost is low when I am buying it and as long as I know that it will clean well. I will usually try to stock up on the detergent when I find it on a good sale to keep enough for about 3 - 6 months if I can. I have made my own and that worked well, and I do keep the ingredients on hand to be able to make my own just in case I run out or something.

I usually use half of the recommended amount of detergent and sometimes less. If I have a small load to wash I may only use less than a 1/4 of the cap, just a little swish of detergent, while on a large load or something that is really dirty I may use 1/4 to 1/2 of the capful. I never use what they say to.

As far as wondering if the cheaper detergent will clean less than name brand, some will. It's a trial and error thing when it comes to that. I have found that with most of the generic ones I have used they have cleaned just as well and in a few cases better than a name brand.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I make a liquid soap out of
1/3 bar fels naptha soap shredded
1 cup borax
1 cup arm and hammer washing soda
bring all ingredients to a boil in 6 cups water till fels naptha soap pieces are disolved, pour equally into two 1 gallon containers, then fill the rest of the containers with hot water. Shake before each wash as sometimes it seperates a little, but there is no residue with it as with the powder I've made and it cleans like Hazel!!!!!
And I use about 1/3 cup per large load of laundry!
Here are some pictures of the products so you know what to get!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i use whatever is cheapest, but prefer liquid, but have had powered lately. I dont find it makes any difference what brand it is. for powered i use 1/4 cup and for liquid usually about 1/2 the amount they require

·
Registered
201 Posts
I used to use powder only, but then started having problems with our septic tank getting stopped up. When the tank was dug up and opened, powdered detergent had blocked the opening. So the second time this happened, I switched to liquid. Not a problem since..(knock on wood)
I now make my own, but keep a bottle of Gain on hand and add a cap ful of Gain to the soap that I make..just for scent and color.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I use liquid only because with our extremely hard water, powder leaves a residue. I use very little for a load. I read somewhere it's not the amount of soap you use that cleans, it's the agitation that does.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I use liquid detergent. Usually Xtra brand, unless I get a really great sale/coupon deal on a name brand. I use half the recommended amount for our clothes and wash in cold water. I used to use powder detergent, but it doesn't dissolve well in our hard water, and didn't dissolve at all in cold water washes, which made the powder more expensive for me to use, since I had to use a warm/hot wash

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I use the liquid stuff because I've had just way too many problems with the powder stuff crusting onto the clothes. I tried pouring it into the washer after it had started filling, then adding in the vinegar, but it still feels odd.

I use about 1 tablespoon of detergent and 1/4c of vinegar and can stretch a 26 load bottle about a month or two. We also have really hard water, so the liquid works way better.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
liquid here as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use powder that I make myself and only use cold water unless I am shrinking fabric.

I make my own laundry soap... I add a bit more because my husband gets very dirty..... the boys did too!

Powder Laundry Soap

1 cup of borax
1 cup of washing soda
1 bar of soap grated (I use Zote)
Use 1-2 Tbsp. per load.

to this I add
1 cup Biz
1 cup Oxi-Clean

For our dirty clothes it works great!

·
Registered
134 Posts
to add-

any bar soap can be used, of course Fels Naptha , Zote and others are made for laundry, but if you have sensitive skin use what you use for bath soap.

Ivory
Colgate Octagon
Pure and Natural
Zest
Kirk's Castile Soap
Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap (Australia, England, Japan, US, Canada)
Zote Soap
Lever 2000
Sunlight Bar Soap
Lirio

Use what you have on hand!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would like to say that I too have a hard time finding Washing soda and when I do, I buy it all... I am sure everyone else is having the same problem which is why it is hard to find. Ask your favorite store to order it for you.

I went through the archives and found a reference to baking soda vs. washing soda.

well worth a read.

http://www.diaperpin.com/clothdiapers/article_bakingsoda.asp

and it was suggested in another thread here in the archives...

"...switching to baking soda or a mix of washing soda and baking soda because the washing soda was too harsh on their clothes."

I have tried to confirm the information below and can't

Want to make your own "laundry soda"? Take baking soda, spread it out onto a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven at a little over 300 degrees for an hour or so it will drive away a water and CO2 molecule thus making washing soda.
At temperatures above 300o Fahrenheit (149o Celsius), baking soda decomposes into sodium carbonate, water, and carbon dioxide.
2NaHCO3 -> Na2Co3 + H20 + CO2
http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp (scroll to the bottom)

UNCONFIRMED - swimming pool ph increaser...it is the same as washing soda, Sodium Carbonate. ph pool increaser at Walmart it was 5.86 for a 4 lb. container. At only 1 cup per batch, it last a very long time

my note: I will be checking this out.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I read somewhere here on the laundry forum, that using the oxy clean generic has sodiium carb. When I first made this, I didn't have washing soda but I used some baking soda and the oxy clean (generic) and it worked just great! (I have since found washing soda and I cant tell the differance.)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts