Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to say this somewhere and the news will not be received well by our families (mine in particular). I'm pregnant with our 6th child. I'm not overly overwhelmed by the pregnancy as last time, but am wondering how to balance responsibilities. I'm trying to give my children the one-on-one time they need (they are 12, 8, 6, 4, and 2 (still nursing)), look after our house, and deal with health issues in 2 of my children (unknown cause in one, borderline Type 1 diabetes in other - long story - tests point to Type 1, but looks like dietary changes staved it off so far), deal with special diets (clean diet, gluten free headed towards grain free, fermented dairy only, no sulfites, have our own garden, etc. My oldest child is the one with high blood sugar issues - the struggle at the moment is to deal with moods related to blood sugar and to help her navigate middle school - the time she actually helps around the house is minimal, 2nd is ill as well - have dealt with blindness in one eye (vision has come back after a week) and severe stomach issues lately. Hubby is having to work extra. My littles try to be helpful and teaching them will pay off, but is slow. I look at it as an investment, but it doesn't do a lot to keep the house in order. I ma weeding out stuff as the design of our house is less than conducive to a large family - It was designed for family of four,five max. Any thoughts/suggestions as to how to keep my head above water? I am Christian and have some friends around, no family around (and hubby's parents are deteriorating quickly and are 3 1/2 hrs away and we're trying to work into extra visits with hubby and one or two children at a time, mine are just bitter and judgmental and not healthy for us to be around - my mom threatened to castrate my hubby last time I got pregnant!). My fisth pregnancy I had a single period and ovulated 10 days late due to antibiotics. This time, I seem to have ovulated substantially early. I'm 40 too, but am healthier=r than I was with my first pregnancy. Sorry for the rant, just need to express myself somewhere.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did not want to read and run....but to say CONGRATULATIONS! :) I live in Eastern NC...so if you are anywhere close to me, I would love to help. It sounds like you are on the right track....and I don't think that your post was a rant at all......May God bless you and your family! :) Please enjoy your family....my 'littles' are 28 and almost 26 and I so miss that time.....the house stuff will be there when they are grown and gone, trust me! :) (((((HUGS))))

·
Registered
400 Posts
Congratulations. Enjoy this time with them. As I'm sure you have heard before, they grow up fast. I think you are on the right track with getting the house organized. It sounds like you are dealing with several different eating challenges. Would it be possible to get everyone on the same diet? This might save some time if its possible.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Congratulations. I have 5 but the oldest is 12 years older then youngest .

I was lucky. My husband is one of 8 so no comments from family.

One day at a time you think too far ahead you will stress yourself out!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
:congrats: are in order here!... I come from a big family (10) and we just wouldn't trade it for the world. But here you are - doing the best you can with what you have and you're doing a fine job of it.

I like the idea of putting everyone on the same diet - will ease things up a little. (PS.. mood swings could be PMS too. or typical adolescent hormonal behavior )

To keep organized.. there should be one large calendar .. the mommy calendar. which has everything on it that you need to schedule,

Keeping organized is key to keeping your head on straight. And will also help you to live in a house which is a bit smaller than you need. Some things can't be changed. So we deal with them as best we could.
Get rid of everything you are not using or needing. Keep organized bins of children's clothes by size/gender. Keep organized bins of toys by age to bring out when appropriate, etc. you get the picture.

It's great that you garden, and are frugal to begin with. You're going to do just fine. And as my momma always said, "if you have to stay home for one, might as well stay home for half a dozen." and she meant it! I love that woman! lol

·
Registered
530 Posts
Congratulations! I have seven children. Our 2nd oldest is autistic and had a lot of difficult behavior problems during more than one of my pregnancies. We started having one on one dates with each child, so they could have some time away from the drama with Mom or Dad. Also, we found that some of the things we thought were important fell by the wayside when time and energy ran out- namely housework. Do you live close to your children's doctors? The biggest drain on my energy was hauling the kids to appointments and/or finding babysitters for the younger one. This is easier now that we have teen children who we can pay to babysit.

·
19,119 Posts
Congratulations and mahalo for sharing your wonderful news!

Reactions: frugalchick

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congratulations! Our 6th child was just born last month :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all. Frugal Nurse - Your comment "Get rid of everything you are not using or needing." made me laugh. I gave away mu maternity clothes and baby bathtub in December and just sold my exersaucer in early February in an effort to clear out stuff we didn't need :cool:!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I need to say this somewhere and the news will not be received well by our families (mine in particular). I'm pregnant with our 6th child. I'm not overly overwhelmed by the pregnancy as last time, but am wondering how to balance responsibilities. I'm trying to give my children the one-on-one time they need (they are 12, 8, 6, 4, and 2 (still nursing)), look after our house, and deal with health issues in 2 of my children (unknown cause in one, borderline Type 1 diabetes in other - long story - tests point to Type 1, but looks like dietary changes staved it off so far), deal with special diets (clean diet, gluten free headed towards grain free, fermented dairy only, no sulfites, have our own garden, etc. My oldest child is the one with high blood sugar issues - the struggle at the moment is to deal with moods related to blood sugar and to help her navigate middle school - the time she actually helps around the house is minimal, 2nd is ill as well - have dealt with blindness in one eye (vision has come back after a week) and severe stomach issues lately. Hubby is having to work extra. My littles try to be helpful and teaching them will pay off, but is slow. I look at it as an investment, but it doesn't do a lot to keep the house in order. I ma weeding out stuff as the design of our house is less than conducive to a large family - It was designed for family of four,five max. Any thoughts/suggestions as to how to keep my head above water? I am Christian and have some friends around, no family around (and hubby's parents are deteriorating quickly and are 3 1/2 hrs away and we're trying to work into extra visits with hubby and one or two children at a time, mine are just bitter and judgmental and not healthy for us to be around - my mom threatened to castrate my hubby last time I got pregnant!). My fisth pregnancy I had a single period and ovulated 10 days late due to antibiotics. This time, I seem to have ovulated substantially early. I'm 40 too, but am healthier=r than I was with my first pregnancy. Sorry for the rant, just need to express myself somewhere.
Well, First off.... CONGRATS!!!!!! :cheer4: Babies are just awesome!!! Now... for the harder stuff.... You have friends around? Have them help where ever they can!!! & DON'T say that you don't want to burden them!!! Friends LIKE to help out friends!!! It's the nature of being a friend! I have a friend who is DROWNING in responsibility but refuses help... if I could hog tie her & just do it for her so that she isn't overwhelmed... girl, I would do it in a HEARTBEAT!!! So ~ utilize your friends!!! Do you have a church family?! If so, UTILIZE THEM TOO!!! MOST church families will go above & beyond to help out a church member & you never know you could end up with even more friends!!! Especially if you let them know a specific need!!! Have the kids who can help you, help you... Even the 2 yr old can help!!! It doesn't have to be perfect, but let them know Mommy needs help... just like EVERYONE needs help & being part of a family is like running a crew ship... everyone has to do their part to help out!

Also... check out freecycle and craigslist for ANYTHING that will help... garage sales... sometimes you can pick up the best stuff for little to nothing!!! If you go on Sunday (or last day of the sale), the sellers would usually rather give something to you than haul it away or keep it.... you can always give them a cheap ($5/$1 for a dresser etc). If your parents aren't going to be supportive (while you do need to eventually tell them ... as you don't want them to have a heart attack when you just happen to bring out the newest member of your family at the age of 3 :thud::ponder: :ack: ) Yeah the best bet would be to wait a bit! You can do this!!! :dancing::grouphug:

Kim

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Awwww. That must have been extremely tense. So glad every thing is fine.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Congrats. Will they do amnio too? I needed one but I dont know if 40 is criterion anymore these days. I hope it goes well w/ the parents. I would start out saying your thrilled.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Congrats! These little ones are a gift and you and your husband are the perfect parents for each and everyone of them!! Like the others have said don't let anyone steal your joy! They will be the ones missing out on your beautiful children.

Reactions: Libby
1 - 20 of 49 Posts