Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, at 9pm, hubby comes out of the bathroom and says, "Ut oh, I think there is something wrong with our water."

Sure enough the water coming out of the faucet is BROWN (ew!) I called the water company - because it is a small operation - and sure enough I get to talk to the guy who is on-call. He says there was a water line break up the road that they had to fix earlier in the day. The water is considered "safe" but dirt inside the pipes got stirred up because of the changes in pressure. They'll work on clearing it today.

In the meantime we're using bottled water to prepare coffee and brush our teeth. I'm holding off on other activities that use water - washing clothes, for instance.

The downside is that our bottled water supply is really low! What happened? It turns out that my DD thinks nothing of grabbing a bottle of water and never added it to the list. Grrrr. It is a good thing that we weren't completely run out of it. I swear, I need a better organization system for the stockpile. We're slowly acquiring what we need but the list is a long one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We live in a small town and have this brown water thing a few times a year. Usually, the water gets turned off for a short time without notice and they fix the problem. So we have water stocked good. Worst case scenario we could hold out for about two weeks. Calculate a gallon a day per person.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I stock gallon jugs of water. I keep about 12-14 in the pantry typically. This is in addition to bottled water - normally a case or so.

We live at the top of a hill and will lose water very quickly if a pipe is shut off somewhere.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I bought a Berkey...I can use water from a swamp and filter it through the Berkey to a crystal clear clean drinking water..I store over 75 recycled 2-liters cleaned & filled with water and stacked nice & neat in my mudroom..hth.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I really want a Berkey for our preps but they can't ship them to Cali so I'm out of luck on that!

I pick up 3 gallons of water every single time I go to the store, they run about 88 cents a gallon so not too bad. We also have (4) 5 gallon Coleman water containers that we keep full in the garage along with several 2 liter soda bottles that I cleaned out and store water in. Some of them I sit on the bottom of our chest freezer so in the event we lose power I have frozen ice essentially in there to keep things cooler a little longer.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Why dont you buy the stuff to make your own??

I really want a Berkey for our preps but they can't ship them to Cali so I'm out of luck on that!

I pick up 3 gallons of water every single time I go to the store, they run about 88 cents a gallon so not too bad. We also have (4) 5 gallon Coleman water containers that we keep full in the garage along with several 2 liter soda bottles that I cleaned out and store water in. Some of them I sit on the bottom of our chest freezer so in the event we lose power I have frozen ice essentially in there to keep things cooler a little longer.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm shocked that they can't ship a Berkey to CA. When did that start and WHY?!?!?!

We used to store the 2.5 gallon waters because we had a well and the well pump wouldn't work if the electricity was off. The well was too deep for a manual pump. Those waters came in handy.

One day I was in the basement and noticed a water leak on the ceiling. Ut oh! That area was right under the kitchen. We suspected that the water line to the kitchen sink had cracked in a recent cold snap. We called in various contractors who all wanted to tear into the basement ceiling to find the leak. I objected because the ceiling was huge (over 1200 sq ft). A patch would be too obvious and replacing the whole ceiling was daunting. I insisted they search for the leak through the kitchen floor which we were going to replace anyway.

The guy started in the sink cabinet and couldn't find anything. He kept drilling open the kitchen floor to follow a water line across the room to the refrigerator (we weren't using the ice maker but there was still a water line in case we wanted to). He still didn't find anything. He finally said, "Lady, it is under that cabinet over there. I have to pull that cabinet out." Okay, so I start cleaning out the cabinet.

And I found the water leak!

I had been storing some 2.5 gallon water bottles in my pantry but my grandmother kept standing on them to reach the higher shelves. So she wouldn't do that, I moved them to the cabinet. She apparently had cracked one but I didn't realize it until about half the water had leaked out. Amazing how a little leak can make such a huge mark on the ceiling. Ugh!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
We get brown water once in a while, it's typically when the flush to lines. We were told it was iron deposits or rust.

We don't shower or wash during the flushing cycle (Our town puts out signs to warn people). But drinking water is needed. We have a filter on the refrigerator so we fill jugs with water that gets used for emergency when you can't use the fridge water. Cost. $0.00

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
And I found the water leak!

I had been storing some 2.5 gallon water bottles in my pantry but my grandmother kept standing on them to reach the higher shelves. So she wouldn't do that, I moved them to the cabinet. She apparently had cracked one but I didn't realize it until about half the water had leaked out. Amazing how a little leak can make such a huge mark on the ceiling. Ugh!

Oh MY GOODNESS!! that's a funny but horrific story!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm shocked that they can't ship a Berkey to CA. When did that start and WHY?!?!?
Here is the explanation from the Berkey site.......

"California recently adopted AB 1953 / SB 1334 & 1395 / HSC Section 116875, commonly refered to as the "no lead law". Of course Berkey products do not contain lead, but under this measure until the state of California confirms this fact, Berkey is forced to suspend shipment of water purification systems to the state of California."

·
Registered
141 Posts
Like Calimom mentioned - keeping frozen water in a chest freezer is a good idea. Not only does it give you a supply of ice if needed, It lowers the electricity needed to keep the freezer at temp.

Always fill any empty space in your freezer with water jugs, when they freeze and create additional thermal mass, the temperature inside the freezer stays more consistant and the freezer does not have to run as much. Need room for food? just pull out a few bottles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts