Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not putting my all like I should be into preserving the bounty my garden and edible landscape have given me this year because of my not giving a crap attitude most of my bounty never saw my kitchen storage and rotted ..Now that I;m feeling better mentally I'm moving on and being grateful for what I did preserve this year because there is nothing I can do about it now.:vs_mad:

So here is what I have preserved so far..

Cayenne peppers got turned into hot sauce..a gallon so far)
Tomatoes were turned into salsa and dehydrated chips.
Tomatillos made into salsa verde.
Dehydrated oregano, Sage, thyme,parsley, marjoram,scallions,basil
Basil pesto.
Basil in olive oil frozen into ice cube trays.
Garlic, rosemary infused olive oil.
Froze pole green beans..( these are the best tasting green bean!)
Blackcap jam.
Concord grape made 4-1/2 quarts of very concentrated juice.
Elderberries made a gallon of tincture.

That's pretty much it..

Next.......;

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
We all burn out sometimes for one reason or other. Don't beat yourself up for it, just look to the future. :)

I'm going to make a batch of sauerkraut again and this time I'm going to remember to tighten the damn rings on the jars after they're processed, so I don't have to throw out half the batch six months later.

I myself burned out on cooking and tracking my food and generally behaving myself with food, which resulted in gaining twelve unnecessary pounds. Stupid on my part, but nothing I can do about it now.

Moving on and trying to get re-motivated...

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
So Brenda, what you are saying is you went ahead and pre-emptively composted the garden for next year, right? :applouse:

I didn't get any canning done this year, too much left from previous years still to eat.

Reactions: brenda67

·
Registered
955 Posts
Speaking as someone who let about 30 vegetable plants die on my patio because I didn't get around to planting them this spring, I totally feel your pain. But you are so right. There's no point beating yourself up. It won't bring back the money or the product and in the grand scheme of a life lived, it's just a blip.

Glad you are back on track now.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Brenda you have preserved more than me. Sounds like you must have a big garden anyway. I have given away a lot of beans lately, just cannot face eating more and the freezer is full (other stuff.) I don't do canning. Sometimes things just do not work out the way we want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts