Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the All American 21 1/2 qt and it started building a lot of pressure because the 15# weight didn't let off steam. If I moved the weight it would let steam off. I think it may be partially clogged. The manual doesn't address this issue. Anyone know how to fix? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
You should be able to look through the part where the weight sits to see if there's a clog. Cleaning is easy with a pipe cleaner.

If the canner uses a weight instead of a gauge, how do you know it's building up too much pressure? Is it possible the canner isn't releasing steam because it's NOT building up up enough pressure? Maybe your heat source isn't hot enough, or the canner and its contents haven't had enough time to get hot enough to build pressure. It can take a long time to heat up a large canner full of food, particularly if it's cold packed.

Just some random thoughts.

·
Registered
547 Posts
you can also straighten a paperclip if you don't have a pipe cleaner handy.

And I agree with SD, it takes a while to heat these up. Propane stoves, especially at a high altitude, icould take a long time to heat up that heavy pan and the contents. Try testing it with just boiling water 4" deep. Also, once you clean the weight seat, then check the seal. sometimes the edge of those canners has a ding or dent from a person banging a spoon on it or dropping the lid at an angle and it defeats the seal. There might be a hissing or TINY bubbling at that spot. Just feel the rim. And you need to grease the rim a bit to help that seal hold.

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
Camper stoves are generally low pressure and don't cook anything very fast. I'm guessing rentals would use basic stoves like our previous one, not the splurge I bought when we got the current one. (Never going back to cheap stoves!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you can also straighten a paperclip if you don't have a pipe cleaner handy.

And I agree with SD, it takes a while to heat these up. Propane stoves, especially at a high altitude, icould take a long time to heat up that heavy pan and the contents. Try testing it with just boiling water 4" deep. Also, once you clean the weight seat, then check the seal. sometimes the edge of those canners has a ding or dent from a person banging a spoon on it or dropping the lid at an angle and it defeats the seal. There might be a hissing or TINY bubbling at that spot. Just feel the rim. And you need to grease the rim a bit to help that seal hold.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should be able to look through the part where the weight sits to see if there's a clog. Cleaning is easy with a pipe cleaner.

If the canner uses a weight instead of a gauge, how do you know it's building up too much pressure? Is it possible the canner isn't releasing steam because it's NOT building up up enough pressure? Maybe your heat source isn't hot enough, or the canner and its contents haven't had enough time to get hot enough to build pressure. It can take a long time to heat up a large canner full of food, particularly if it's cold packed.

Just some random thoughts.
This cooker has a gauge and a weight. I will try to clean it out the way you said. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts