Frugal Village Forums banner

Pressure Canning Usage Year Round

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Durgan 
#1 ·
I am trying to motivate myself into canning more often.

Yesterday I canned 8 pints carrots, 6 pints cabbage, and 4 pints of kidney beans. The day before I canned 16 pints of carrots.
Today's plan is to can some quarts of cabbage.

I picked up 4 plastic bags @ $ 1 each, of marked down vegtables and fruits this morning. There is green peppers, celery, and onions, that I want to try canning. I am thinking something like a soup stock. Also some winter squash but probably will put that in the freezer. I did pick up a bag of apples but thinking a pie for supper will be priority.

I used a pint of the canned cabbage from yesterday, in the frying pan, under the sausage patties we had for lunch. This was the first time me canning cabbage and I was quite impressed with the results.

So what have you canned lately or used in a recent meal ?

Reactions: marlas1too
#2 ·
I drink about a liter per day of a combination of these products, and they constitute a large portion of my diet.

This is the consolidated pictures of the preserving of fruit and vegetables for the off season. I have been basically living on this, almost as my main diet.Of course,I eat other food as required. I have lost 15 pounds in three months (205 to 190) and am full of energy and very active. With experience, I have ascertained that one can preserve almost any fruit and vegetable, only limited by the availability and imagination.

14 November 2011 Leeks Processed into Juice. 14 November 2011 Leeks Processed into Juice.
10 November 2011 Crosne Picked and Processed.(Stachys affinis) 10 November 2011 Crosne Picked and Processed.
5 Novembr 2011 Brussels Sprouts (Jade Cross) Processing. 5 November 2011 Brussels Sprouts (Jade Cross)Juicing.
29 October 2011 Pumpkin Juice 29 October 2011 Pumpkin Juice
27 October 2011 Apple Juice Processing 27 October 2011 Apple Juice Processing
16 September 2011 Concord Grapes. 16 September 2011 Concord Grapes
15 September 2011 Tomatoes Processing. 15 September 2011 Tomatoes
14 September 2011 Boca Noir Grapes 14 September 2011 Boca Noir Grapes
12 September 2011 Pear Juice 12 September 2011 Pear Juice
31 August 2011 Niagara Grapes 31 August 2011 Niagara Grapes
15 August 2011 Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis) Extracting Raw Juice 15 August 2011 Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis) Extracting Raw Juice.
10 August 2011 Tomato Juice 10 August 2011 Tomato Juice
10 August 2011 Purslane Cooked and Pressure Canned. 10 August 2011 Purslane Cooked and Pressure Canned.
6 August 2011 Green peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers for Juice. 6 August 2011 Green peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers made into Juice.
6 August 2011 Making Vegetable Juice 6 August 2011 Making Vegetable Juice
29 July 2011 Tomato Juice 29 July 2011 Tomato Juice
26 August 2011 Elderberry Twenty Pounds Processed. 26 August 2011 Elderberry Twenty pounds Processed.
26 July 2011 Blueberry Picking and Processing into Juice. 26 July 2011 Blueberry Picking and Processing into Juice.
26 July 2011 Sour Cherry Juice. 26 July 2011 Sour Cherry Juice.
25 July 2011 Yellow Beans 25 July 2011 Yellow Beans
22 July 2011 American Gooseberry (Ribes hirtellum) 22 July 2011 American Gooseberry (Ribes hirtellum)
21 July 2011 Blackcurrant (Ribes nigrum) Picking and processing. 21 July 2011 Blackcurrant (Ribes nigrum)
10 July 2011. Bing Cherry Juice. 10 July 2011. Bing Cherry Juice.
6 July 2011 Carrot Juice 6 July 2011 Carrot Juice

What I like about the method is, the product is ready to serve by opening the jar. There is no added sugar.
durgan.org | Garden Journal 2011

#7 ·
The nice thing about canning, is you don't have to buy new equipment. Most all my equipment is used.

I started with my mom's National # 5 pressure canner. I bought a National # 7 many years ago, for $5 at a garage sale. That is the one I use currently. Awhile ago, I picked up a Presto # 7 B at a garage sale, and that one was $ 3. It needed one handle on the lid, and a weight which I bought online. I also have a Presto # 7 that my son gave me this summer from another sale. It needs a weight, a gasket and the dial guage has a crack. At some point in time, I will get it cleaned up, and try it out. In my storage area, I have another canner. I want to say it is a Presto # 7 also. Again, that one needs cleaning and probably a weight. Presto owns National btw.

In the past, I have bought several used canners, cleaned them up, and sold them on craigslist. I also have picked up water bath canners used. My 2 pressure cookers, I did buy new.

I did pick up some new canning jars this summer on a half off sale. I really like to buy used jars when I see them. I am well stocked up on standard mouth canning lids.

When my kids were little, I used to can 600 jars a year. Also another 100 for my mom, and then 100 for my MIL. My jar inventory was approximately 1000 jars.

I don't can as serious as I used to, but am trying really hard to motivate myself to kick out some big numbers again. The price of canned goods in the store now is scaring me bad. It's like every week, something else takes a jump.

I do depend on the 2 freezers too much. But I have one that is really old and was supposed to be only a back up unit, and used in the fall / winter. I have empty jars that can be put into use, if I need them, in case of a extended power failure.

#9 ·
We mostly PC meats, very few vegetables, even though we have a garden. Our garden is small but we plant a huge variety and eat most of it fresh or freeze it as different things mature throughout each season. The price of meats is what scares me the most so whenever I find something on sale I buy it in bulk and jar it up. I love being able to walk in to my pantry and grab a jar of meat for a quick, tasty and inexpensive meal. It's just the two of us at home and a Pint jar (roughly a pound of meat, give or take, before canning) will easily feed the two of us for dinner and usually leave us enough for lunches the next day depending on how its prepared. My PC is the best investment I ever made!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.