Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many mentions of pressure cookers under various forum topics. I had always been told they were dangerous.

What makes pressure cookers better then regular cooking?

·
Registered
541 Posts
It'll cook a roast in about 30 minutes.

It'll cook dried beans in about half the time.

Yes, it will explode if you overfill it or let all of the liquid cook out, or cook with the heat too high. That being said, if you take the time to learn how to use it properly, it is a wonderful item. Oh yeah, you have to check the seal before you use it each time and make sure its in there properly.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
They cook faster; healthier, very little oil and very little water so vegetables do not lose their vitamins. I have overfilled mine alot and it has NEVER exploded or come close. I have read in several places; they exploded several years ago when the sealing of them wasn't as good. Pork chops come out so tender you can eat them with a fork. I have 3 of them; using them almost every night. Sometimes for the whole meal. On holidays; I cook vegetables in one and potatoes in the other. Potatoes cook in 10 minutes; vegetables in 2-3 minutes. I am not new to this I have been cooking in pressure cookers for 34 years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is a good brand pressure cooker?

Is there a good website to go to that you can learn all about them so I don't..uhm...explode anything?

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I'd always been afraid to get one because I'd heard they were dangerous, but I am so very glad I have one now. I can come home from work and have a great meal cooked from scratch in just a matter of minutes. Agree with craftypam about meat being so tender - you can take very inexpensive cuts of meat and turn them into something wonderful! Saving both time and money with mine.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
What is a good brand pressure cooker?

Is there a good website to go to that you can learn all about them so I don't..uhm...explode anything?
I have a Cook's Essential pressure cooker that I got from QVC and I've been extremely happy with it. Super easy to use, easy to clean, easy to store.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I have been on the forum less then 8 hours and I have already learned something very useful!

I will have to look into it. I have bought inexpensive cuts of meat and put them in the crockpot. They haven't come out very tender, despite what the recipe said. Hubby wasn't very happy with the results. I am certainly trying a pressure cooker if it can save time and give tender meat.

*crossing my fingers and hoping I don't explode the kitchen*

Shanna

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
You won't explode....just follow the directions that come with the cooker :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have 2 mirro pressure cookers in different sizes and 2 mirro pressure canners. Both are very easy to use and have great instruction books that come with them.

I acutally got one of mine on Ebay for $10 with shipping.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The reason a pressure cooker cooks faster is because it cooks hotter than boiling point.

I have heard that a lot of people are afraid of explosions, but I have never heard of anyone actually having one explode. I suspect it's one of those urban legends that got out of control. It might have happened to two people 50 years ago, or something.

If you follow the directions that come with it, it won't explode. If you don't follow the directions, then, yes, there is quite a bit of pressure, and an explosion would be a bad thing. If you remember that, you'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone :cat:

I think I will risk not being added to the urban legend total..lol.

My breadmaker from Amazon came at a great bargain, but no manual. If pressure cookers come with great instruction manuals then I shouldn't have an troubles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What size for a single person?

I have been considering purchasing one, but what is the ideal size range for a single person?

·
Registered
26 Posts
We use our electric pressure cooker all the time. I can take meats from frozen to cooked in 30-45 minutes. It's like a crock pot on steroids! I also enjoy the way it infuses the flavor of the seasoning and herbs into what ever I'm cooking. Ours is also non-stick so clean-up is a breeze as well.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I have been considering purchasing one, but what is the ideal size range for a single person?
I think a 4 or 5 qt. one would be perfect for a single person or small family. There's just the two of us at home and ours is a 5 qt.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Some great info.........thanks for posting it.

I have been thinking about getting one too.......just so I could buy some cheaper cuts of meat.

Think this would be on item that I would want new, not something used, so will watch for a good sale - or check ebay.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have heard that a lot of people are afraid of explosions, but I have never heard of anyone actually having one explode. I suspect it's one of those urban legends that got out of control.
My husband told me that as a teenager he arrived home one day to find his mother scraping beets off the kitchen ceiling. She opened the pressure cooker without depressurizing it properly and KABLOOEE!!! :lolpoint:

Reactions: dortmatt and Liane

·
Registered
340 Posts
BTW, I have a Tower pressure cooker (not sure if they're available in the U.S.) and I LOVE IT! I was afraid of using one too (especially after the exploding beets story) but if you follow the instructions, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pressure Cooker Site

Thanks so much for this site! I've done a lot of cooking and canning over the years, but never could make my rice come out fluffy and light. This site showed me why. LOL

This is a wonderful:sun: forum for learning.

·
Registered
336 Posts
This has been very, very helpful. When my Mom would cook in a pressure cooker when we were kids the food was not so great. I love her dearly but I think it was the cook and not the pressure cooker-lol. I was just looking at pressure cookers and this seals the deal, I am getting one. Does anyone have a digital pressure cooker?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts