Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the place to post this but I looked in the food section and didn't really see anything like it there. (Maybe I should of looked deeper?)

DH and I decided that we would like to get a pressure cooker/canner. I've been reading up a little on people canning so much faster, etc. I remember my mom having a pressure cooker and using it a lot. Guess I've always been 'scared' of them. I am afraid I would blow the thing up! *lol*

Anyone have any advice or experience that they would like to share? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Debbie

·
Registered
679 Posts
great thread---i'm in the same boat as you two. the ones i've seen are a bit pricey. i would love to learn how to can and have also been afraid that i would seriously injure myself LOL

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very pricey. Its nice to know I am not alone in wanting to know. Hopefully there are some FV's out there than can help us. I figure if I start saving now, maybe by summer I can get one.

Debbie

·
Registered
193 Posts
LOL...ditto for me!! I'm curious about one, but I'm scared of blowing up my kitchen!! I LOVE the thought of being able to bottle my own soups, meat ect.

Can't wait to see what people say!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I can't help you much, just wondering if there are pressure cookers that double as pressure canners.
I am fortunate to have my parents as neighbors and that my mother has both a pressure cooker & a pressure canner & knows how to use them.
I'm not sure of their quart capacity, but the pressure cooker is old with a jiggler on top. We borrow it a lot to cook venison roasts in as my mother has taught us. It is the best way to cook a roast, only takes 30 min w/very little seasoning & comes out very tender & moist.
I've yet to master cooking beans in it, but that's my goal.

the pressure canner is quite large & I believe it fits 6 qts in it to can.
we use it a lot & could can more things....like vension & soups.
the pressure canner, also a few years old, has a different gauge on the top which measures pounds of pressure...you need to know the specifics when canning different things. If I didn't have my mother to teach me, I would have to take a canning class.

I want to pressure cook beans, make them into soups then pressure can pints of soup.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Only advise I can give is if you do get one read up on them and find out which would be the safest. They can blow up. My 1st cousin's blew up on her this summer and she was burned really bad over 1/2 her body..1st and 2nd degree burns. She had used it for several years and never had a problem and them bam. I'm terrified of them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My family tried to do a Christmas goose in one. I was too young to remember, but the story still gets told every year at Christmas. "Remember when the goose exploded?" Fortunately nobody was in the kitchen when it happened, or it wouldn't be a funny story that gets dragged out annually. It'd be a tragic story that made the news. I think I'm the only one in the famly to understand that.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
A pressure cooke can not be used for canning. You need a pressure canner in order to can foods. With them, you can do soups, meats, beans, etc. With a water bath canner, you can do tomatoes, relishes, pickles, jams, etc.

A pressure canner is larger than a pressure cooker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts