Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?WGIJT 26 February 2009 Pressure Cooking Beans
Essence of a large portion of a nutritious meal.
Cooking dried beans. Pinto, Navy, Mung, Black, Kidney, Romano, Peas and Lentils pressure cooked and ready to serve in about two hours.
Method.
Two cups of beans, washed and boiled in water for 10 minutes, rinsed and placed in colander.
Beans are placed in pressure cooker with water under colander which doesn't touch the beans.
Beans cooked for one hour and placed in another pot, and mixed with prepared flavoring.
Beans gently boiled for about 20 minutes to mix condiments and beans.
Beans stored in glass container and stored for use in refrigerator.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks for this post. I still haven't tried, but have to get the knack of cooking beans in the pressure cooker,

what do you have for seasonings in the measure cup? Looks like a tomato base w/herbs.

Seems like after the pressure cooking would be a good time to freeze some too.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this post. I still haven't tried, but have to get the knack of cooking beans in the pressure cooker,

what do you have for seasonings in the measure cup? Looks like a tomato base w/herbs.

Seems like after the pressure cooking would be a good time to freeze some too.
The flavoring sauce is anything that suits one's taste. I use ketchup, mustard, tomato paste, garlic, brown sugar, molasses, horseradish, ground up hot peppers, paprika. In essence, anything that has flavor in the refrigerator and cupboard.

The beauty of utilizing the method is the time is reduced. With a few vegetables and a baked potato a pleasant nutritious meal is readily prepared, and dirt cheap.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This looks really good and nutritious too. I have a pressure cooker that I use fairly often, but have never made grains or beans in it because I don't have a colander that will fit inside.. I noticed yours doesn't have handles. Did you buy it that way, or just remove the handles at home? I really want to try making beans in the pressure cooker, but I'm also more than respectful of the possibility of blowing beans all over my ceiling from a clogged steam vent if I don't use a colander of some sort!:skept:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts