Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used those prewound bobbins? They come on little cardboard bobbins all wound with thread and everything. My friend swears by them, but she can't remember how much they cost. Has anyone priced them or tried them?

For some reason my bobbins lately haven't been winding as tight as they should and its messing with my tension - these prewound bad boys look sssooo tight....

Just curious...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Never even seen or heard of them....and my machine takes a specific type. But then, I've been trying to stay out of the fabric stores!!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I only just learned how to load a bobbin, and I'm not even sure I remember it exactly right...

Long story short, can't help :toothy:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Prewound bobbins rock!

I get them for $1 each locally, but depending on how much sewing you do, you might want to look into marathon threads. I get a box of 100 bobbins for less than $50. I can find the address of the group, but if you mention you're a member for an embroidery group, you can get free shipping too. And something else.. no membership required? I can pm you the info when i get it.

There is much MORE thread on a prewound bobbin, the tension is even, and the quality of thread is great. My machines love them. BTW, marathon threads look like normal bobbins, clear plastic, not the cardboard, or the sideless. I have tried all of them, like the clear plastic best, that way there is no guessing how much thread is left. Winding yourself is still cheaper, but for me, the prewound make more sense, time wise and quality of finished product.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I havent checked those out but I am all about saving money so I will probably continue to wind myself

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked out the ones at Marathon Threads and they are all polyester - for embroidering. I don't embroider, I quilt, so I need cotton.

I found some at www.sewingthread.com and I think I may purchase some to see how they work.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts