Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dead: complaining about the price of groceries..

corn beef brisket was 2.99 a lb here I got it anyway paid over 10 bucks for 1 and got 2 becase it just didn't seem like enough....

I guess it could have been worse....

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
That doesn't sound that bad, considering how much the price of beef has gone up.

I still have one in the freezer from last year. I don't know if we'll buy another one. We're both supposed to avoid sodium.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Next week they will probably drop to $1.99 or maybe even $1.59 per pound, on the point cuts anyway.

I saw they had them out but did not look when I went shopping. I still have at least 2 in the freezer from last year and DH is not supposed to be eating fat, beef, or sodium any more. :(

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
My hubby does not care for it, I love it, so once a year for St. Patty's day it is! I saw the cheaper cut listed for $1.59 a lb in next week's flier.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Somebody, I think it was on this forum, mentioned cooking up corned beef briskets and shredding them for Reuben sandwiches later on. I did that last year and yum! I froze the shredded meat in pint jars. We got the brisket cheap after St. Pat's. It was a good tip, whoever mentioned it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
the last time I bought one I paid .79lb after the holiday but that's been a few years. I don't think they were ever marked down last year.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I checked today - 2.29 and up and nothing under $10.

~ I am thinking about making them a corn beef hash instead.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Yup, thought I would buy one for a change of pace. Saw the prices and decided to wait to see if they went on sale. Main reason I do not purchase them is the sodium.

Luckily there was a small pork roast on managers special so I purchased that instead. Couldn't help but notice other shoppers looking at different meats and the prices and just walking not picking up anything.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Gotta really be careful with meat anymore. So much of it has a salt solution in it. It really annoys me, first because they're adding all that sodium to it, and second because some of it has a whopping 15% solution. That means they want me to pay fifteen cents of every dollar for cheap salt water if I buy their product. Pretty darn steep.

·
Registered
669 Posts
15%? I checked some at the market over the weekend and they were 35% solution! Yes, 35% It's not worth buying them. One of these days I will corn my own beef brisket, using the recipe on Cook's Illustrated. This year I ordered a corned beef from the local butcher shop. I've never ordered one from them, but their other things are really such good quality. I did not even ask the price, I am sure it will be a shock, but I am so sick of the crap I see at the market.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I checked today - 2.29 and up and nothing under $10.

~ I am thinking about making them a corn beef hash instead.
Corn beef hash is great. Except, for some reason, I prefer the canned version :) Not sure why, but I'm the only one out my immediate and immediate in-law family that loves it canned. I buy it now, and right after St. Patty's Day, so that I can have it throughout the year, since I have to eat the can by myself.

Otherwise, I love corned beef in general, and look forward to St. Patty's Day church dinner every year. I'm an Irish girl at heart.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's $2.99 here. My dh just loves the stuff, but I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for it. We have a big family and I would have had to buy two of them to feed us all. I'm going to look again next week to see if they go on sale.... and again after the holiday. Hoping for something! It used to be that you could get it really cheap right after the holiday here (probably about $0.79/lb). Last year, it never did go on sale and we just went without. Gotta hope for something better this time. :)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Our ad this week has them for $2.99 a pound also. Wonder if it will drop at all next week?

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I love a "boiled dinner" as Dad used to call it. So on St Patty's day we will have corned beef and cabbage regardless of the price.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts