Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Have seen alot about a Pricebook. What exactly is it? Is it something everyone has? Do you buy it, if so where? Do you make it, if so how?
Barb

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
A price book is something you make yourself. It generally lists the usual prices you pay for items at one (or more) stores; many also keep track of the best sale prices. This lets you know when a sale is really a sale. When I have used one, I found it most helpful for those on the spot comparisons -- will this item with a double coupon at Kroger's be less than regular price at Walmart? That sort of thing.

Having said that, I have to admit I am incorrigibly lazy, and just never kept up with it. Anyway, I tend to buy a pretty boring round of groceries and toiletries and more or less know the prices for those, and which stores tend to be best for what items. I am also less obsessive now about getting the absolutly best price, and I'm more satisfied with just a good price. However, if money were really tight, I would probably start doing it again, because you really can save if you design and use it well -- and commit to its upkeep.

·
Registered
102 Posts
what dcompton said.

I know for a fact that sale ads go in cycles. If you miss a sale on an item, it will come back in the next few weeks. You will get a feel of it when you observe several weeks of sale in a particular store. Example if there is a 10/$10 sale and there are coupons out for items which are 50 cents and below. When these coupons are doubled (in case that store doubles coupon) you get these items cheap/free. If the store that has the sale doesn't double coupons, the strategy is to bring them to a store that ad match competitor prices and double mfr coupons, then you get lots of cheap/free items!

There is what you call loss leader items. These are items that stores put out on sale at rock bottom prices to attract customers to shop at their store. The smart and savvy shoppers just buy the loss leader items and still go to other stores to buy items at lower prices, stores like Aldi.

Personally, I don't have a pricebook, I just keep up with the going rate of prices when they go on sale and when I see one, I stock up on these. I rarely buy items at full price and have been quite successful doing this.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you so much for the information. I think that I will give it a try and see how I do. Never thought of keeping track of sales and never knew that they were in a cycle. Gonna definitely keep this in mind. After paying off a huge cc the only one we had left to get rid of we are BROKE. So thanks again for so much information. This site is :hungry: like a saint from heaven.
Barb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts