Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm due with a new baby in 8 weeks. This will be my 5th child. I have looked online at ebay and etsy, because I wanted a really nice crocheted blanket for her. The prices started out at $35 and all the way up to $100! And I am talking about a small baby blanket. I know I'm paying for a person's time and talent, but just can't spend that kind of money in this economy. At the Goodwill I have found 4 beautiful crocheted blankets and only paid $2 a piece for them. I just get shocked at prices out there I guess.

·
19,119 Posts
Glad you found what you wanted at Goodwill. Evereyone is feeling the economic pinch.

·
Registered
0 Posts
blankets aren't cheap

I am so glad you found such a great solution, however as a crocheter I must ask if you have seen the price of quality yarns lately? The expense of making a blanket is steep, not even taking into account the time and effort. I don't sell my work, it's not worth it, I do it as a gesture of love for friends.

·
19,119 Posts
So true shiloh!! That's what I do too and it feels good to share our talents with people who appreciate them!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I agree with Shiloh, I too only make for family and friends. I am glad you found some at goodwill blissmommy!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Way to shop bliss...........

I buy blankets at the thrift shop for my 'kids'.....(dogs)..........and I have found some really good deals on receiving blankets too.

Like another poster said........but ANY yarn is super exp. these days and prices are always going up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm glad you found your blankets. What a price!

On another note, I just had a rummage sale and put out very nice crocheted baby blankets for only $2 apiece. Not ONE sold! I was actually wondering if anyone used them anymore?

Granted, mine had been bought at Goodwill years ago for less than a dollar, but they were in beautiful shape and I took good care of them. I had already saved 3 to pass down to my children, but I might just keep these leftovers for them, too, since they are so hard to find.

·
Registered
99 Posts
...I wanted a really nice crocheted blanket for her. The prices started out at $35 and all the way up to $100! And I am talking about a small baby blanket.
Actually, I'd charge a LOT more than that for my time and trouble. That's why I couldn't possibly knit/crochet/quilt for a living...I'd put too high a price on my time. Besides, I don't want my favorite hobby to become a job.

I crochet blankets only for people I love. Lucky for me, I don't love that many people. :)

Thrift stores are a great place to find used crocheted items (like you did, WTG!). I've heard that, sometimes, deceased crocheters have quite a supply of finished items stored that no one wants. Donating them to thrift shops to sell is a great way to let them get used and loved again.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that it takes a lot of time and devotion to do these blankets. I so appreciate the craftmanship and the price of yarns. I don't even really do scrapbooking gifts anymore, because prices are so high on supplies.

I wanted each of my children to have a crocheted blanket, so I found each one at the Goodwill as well. The ones for the baby are just beautiful and I'll be holding onto those for her.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm also pleased to hear that you found a solution!

I can't speak much for eBay, but working with a great deal of professional artists, much of the stuff sold on Etsy IS considered more in the art realm, than the practicality realm--although that's often up for interpretation, lol. That, plus the high cost of materials and time, does jack up the price.

I was very lucky to have several crocheters in my life, lol. My aunt made a beautiful blanket for my son...its, I guess you'd say a tighter knit (smaller holes) and has a dog pattern, which amazes me. It goes perfect with his room decor.

My boyfriend's parents had a crochet throw over their couch with the bigger holes, lol. My son loves to go over there, stand on the couch, and just play with the blanket...so my boyfriend's mom found him a smaller one at a thrift store for $3. It matches OUR couch perfectly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.