Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Canada and went to pick up a few groceries yesterday and was shocked at the prices of produce.Went to Zehrs and walked out,I cant afford their prices any more.Hit Walmart and they were almost the same.Lettuce$2.99,celery $2.99,romain$3.49.
You can get a case of pop for $2.00 though.Anything healthy is going through the roof.How about you guys in the States,same?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Chowder, I've always heard that prices in Canada are far more the here in the states, but your produce prices sound like the prices I'm seeing in my corner of the states. I feel your pain.

I also see that I can buy junk for a song. I can buy prefab chicken patties for about half what it cost to make them from whole foods at home, and fish, I can get fish sticks for about a 1/4 of what it takes for me to make a fresh fish dinner for my family.

The prices of all whole foods are on the rise. I just heard a report that said to get ready for and even bigger increase this year. :( My budget will not be increasing even if food prices are.

I'm thinking we better have a much bigger garden this season, and I better learn more food preservation skills, because we will be in be trouble otherwise. We also are considering moving up our timeline for raising chickens and rabbits.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Here are some interesting articles on the rise in cost of produce All from today.

This one is form a restaurants point of view
Restaurants see produce prices soar amid freeze | tomatoes, produce, supplies - Life - The Orange County Register

This one looks to be a blog a mom's point of view listening to news about prices rising then her experience at the grocery store.
How Does the Price of Produce Shoot Up 100% in 2 Days? | NewsReal Blog

Here is one about the winter storms rising prices of produce
Winter storms, frigid temperatures push up produce prices - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Produce here is always that expensive, and usually half rotten. The only difference is that the case of pop will cost you three times as much. Nothing is cheap here, no matter how unhealthy.

When we were in Ontario I could not believe how cheap food was. I couldn't stop buying stuff for the first few years because I was afraid it was some kind of mistake and I wanted to stock up before they fixed it. Now that we are home, every trip to the grocery store leaves me feeling sick to my stomach.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Produce here is always that expensive, and usually half rotten. The only difference is that the case of pop will cost you three times as much. Nothing is cheap here, no matter how unhealthy.

When we were in Ontario I could not believe how cheap food was. I couldn't stop buying stuff for the first few years because I was afraid it was some kind of mistake and I wanted to stock up before they fixed it. Now that we are home, every trip to the grocery store leaves me feeling sick to my stomach.
Yes I have heard some of the prices in Nova Scotia,my husband has relatives there.I understand even the seafood is expensive?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Sorry Chowder,

It is getting hard to find good prices anymore. Hugs and blessings to you all.

Polly- you are right this summer big gardens and preserving will be a helpful key.

Yes Prices are going to be getting terrible, for those of us who were sounding the alarm before it is scary that it is happening so soon. A friend on a coupon board told us all not to panic, now it is amusing if not frustrating to have her call or write all of us in a "panic"....sigh.

The good thing is it will be garden season again soon, start the seeds, cook with things in season now, (at least for US apples, grapefruit, oranges or things you can find cheap if possible I know even that is getting hard), get ready to dehydrate, can and freeze this summer. Blessings to you all , you try so hard for your families and hope there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

This summer:

Garden

Can

Dehydrate

Freeze

Shop the sales

Gather coupons

Hopefully find sales of stores that already got their produce before the freeze and will honor prices

It has a lot to do with many of the produce out of season, especially here in the US is grown off season in Mexico and they had a huge freeze. Many produce managers can't keep their ad prices for produce, if the sale ad went out before they knew of the shortage. They said it is the worse in 25 years.

Produce prices skyrocket with freeze in Mexico, Southwest | kgw.com | News | Portland, Oregon

-- Get ready to pay double or even triple the price for fresh produce in the coming weeks after the worst freeze in 60 years damaged and wiped out entire crops in northern Mexico and the southwestern U.S.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chowder, I've always heard that prices in Canada are far more the here in the states, but your produce prices sound like the prices I'm seeing in my corner of the states. I feel your pain.

I also see that I can buy junk for a song. I can buy prefab chicken patties for about half what it cost to make them from whole foods at home, and fish, I can get fish sticks for about a 1/4 of what it takes for me to make a fresh fish dinner for my family.

The prices of all whole foods are on the rise. I just heard a report that said to get ready for and even bigger increase this year. :( My budget will not be increasing even if food prices are.

I'm thinking we better have a much bigger garden this season, and I better learn more food preservation skills, because we will be in be trouble otherwise. We also are considering moving up our timeline for raising chickens and rabbits.
Oh I'm thinking the same way.I preserve everything I can,and will learn all I can to do more.I did find a good buy on flour,8kg $3.49 half price, so I bought 4 bags,just have to store most of it,as I don't use much in the summer months.The garden will be expanded this year and alot more canning will be done.The house gets so hot with the canner going,so I am going to use a wood fire outdoors this year,so I can do more.Things just keep going up,it's getting scary!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HappyMama
I plan on getting a dehydrator this year.I usually just hang herbs to dry but I could be doing so much more.Right now I am using up my stock up in the freezer.If I didn't have this I don't know how I would be able to feed us, buying by the week.

·
27,948 Posts
We'll be relying on our garden produce when the time comes but for now... marked down meat and less of it, beans, eggs, frozen veggies, soups, homemade bread...
Back to basics & making it do or doing without will be what will be what's having our bellies full and content. Be nice to bring back more potluck suppers where everyone shares a bit and a good time is had by all.

Prices are going up with everything and pay isn't. Wait until school tax bill time. Less school aid and all those unfunded mandates will have many property owners, some for the first time ever, unable to pay their tax bill. We've always prided ourselves on paying things when due but this time I think we'll be one of those crying Uncle. :(

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
It also the season of higher priced produce. It is winter after all.

Where I live nothing is local as nothing is in growing season. Only five months of growing season here. Everything has to come from somewhere else now.

I think we as modern people have become spoiled wanting foods when we want them. We expect them to be at the store.

In the past, instead of complaining about the price of a produce item at the store they would have been complaining about the produce item not being available.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
This quote from the one blog blew my mind. $1.64 a pound for tomatoes. Any tomatoes at $1.64 would be a down right steal here. They are sale priced at $2.99 a pound!

“See how they’re $1.64 per pound? Well, two weeks ago I left work on a Friday and they were .84 cents per pound. When I came to work Monday morning, they were $1.64.”

The later in the article

So as I headed back toward the soda aisle I had to pass the produce section. I just happened to glance up and there it was, in a newly-arranged center aisle display: Roma Tomatoes…$2.34 per pound. It was an increase of .70 cents per pound. That’s about a 43% increase in price.

Crazy isn't it! I haven't had a tomato since our garden last Summer, and cucumbers! Good Grief! Who would have ever believed that a cucumber could go as high as $1.25! One little cucumber!

Beans, Beans, And More Beans! have been showing up on our supper table and our youngest is allergic (so none for him) and our oldest abhors beans unless they are refried, or baked with LOTS of brown sugar. But even dried beans are getting out of my budget. :( I'm thinking I need to find them sold in bulk for a cheaper price. IF I can swing a lump sum out of the food budget.

I've been dehydrating, I did jelly (my first real canning) and I freeze garden produce. I am worried though, I did some container gardening to add to my DH's garden last Summer and it really did not go well, or as well as I needed it to. I'm really hoping I do better this year, but I still don't know what I did wrong. Everyone said just try it, it's easy. Well, it was not easy for me and I found myself fretting over my plants. It's too important to fail this year.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
monkeywrangler71

Just looking at your Sobeys flyer and I can't believe that Russet potatoes,which are from PEI are actually $1.50 a bag more than what we pay, for the same potatoes from the same place.Also canned pop(Coke,12 cans $2.00) and the same store down there has (Pepsi 12 cans$3.49).I did notice meat seems cheaper for you though.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have noticed prices going up. It seems that everything has gone up about $.50. Instead of 2 for $5.00 it is 2 for $6.00. Just noticed recently the price change.

I still plan on holding out for good sales and eating seasonally. The junk food is less expensive but I really do not want to eat all that junk and chemicals. It is bad enough I can't afford organic all the time, might atleast avoid the chemicals.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I am planning a garden this year. Not just tomatoes in containers. I hope a have a bit of beginners luck.

I will be freezing and trying my hand at canning.

We love bananas and they are the cheapest fruit. Once a week I buy a bunch.

I try my best to eat in season. Sometimes I have no fresh produce in the house. I may have only canned, purchased on sale. One can of pears equals about 3 servings of fruit. Honestly, I get about 2 servings out of one can.

I just paid $3.38 for a gallon of skim milk. My favorite brand of coffee, from Costco, has gone from $9.99 to $13.99 in about a year.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Also canned pop(Coke,12 cans $2.00) and the same store down there has (Pepsi 12 cans$3.49).I did notice meat seems cheaper for you though.
$3.49 is really $4.69, as there is a 10¢ per can deposit on the case of pop. The big difference is not so much what Sobeys charges in ON vs. what they charge in NS, but that there are no lower priced options here. I found Sobeys expensive there too, but I could go to PriceChopper or Food Basics and consistently get lower prices. We don't have any discount groceries and that's what makes it add up so quickly.

The only thing I've noticed being cheaper here is feta cheese - which is kind of bizarre. But I remember buying it up there and thinking it was outrageously priced, not that I had it often enough to care much.

I paid $6.53 for milk yesterday.:shrug2:

·
Registered
148 Posts
$3.49 is really $4.69, as there is a 10¢ per can deposit on the case of pop. The big difference is not so much what Sobeys charges in ON vs. what they charge in NS, but that there are no lower priced options here. I found Sobeys expensive there too, but I could go to PriceChopper or Food Basics and consistently get lower prices. We don't have any discount groceries and that's what makes it add up so quickly.

The only thing I've noticed being cheaper here is feta cheese - which is kind of bizarre. But I remember buying it up there and thinking it was outrageously priced, not that I had it often enough to care much.

I paid $6.53 for milk yesterday.:shrug2:
Holy crapoli! $6.53 for a gallon of milk???? Ouch!

I am trying to stock up on things that I can get free/cheap with coupons. I really want to do a garden but kill just about everything I try to grow. Maybe I can talk my Dad into helping me with it. He's pretty good at gardening. :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy crapoli! $6.53 for a gallon of milk???? Ouch!
I second that statement!!! I get a 4 litre bag at Shoppers Drug Mart all the time for $3.99,sometimes even goes on sale for $3.49.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.