Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Probably not anytime soon. Fresh food is still widely available, and those printers cost thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
I think we're much more likely to see things like this become widespread: https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body

They'd have to get the price down a lot, though. $65 buys a lot of fresh food for one person for a week, and would not be affordable in poor countries.

·
8,714 Posts
~This concept truly terrifies me. It's like every bad science fiction future scenario where there are two classes of people. It's terrifying because it could very well happen as the gap between the very rich and everyone else continues to grow. Without a worldwide natural disaster, I don't think it could happen in my lifetime. But 200 years from now? Sure. As the world gets more populated and polluted, the rich will be able to control absolutely everything, even the tiny patch of vegetables in your "own" backyard.~

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The concept is quite intersting.

Deydrated food, oils etc in a machine that mixes them together and makes food.

Sounds like powdered eggs ( which have been around for a long time). The machine would do the mixing of ingredients instead of a person.

And my first thought when I read the aritcle was Star trek replicators. I think after reading the article that Star trek repicators are for a long while at least things of science fiction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts