Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well kids, I am 12 weeks into my first term, and have completed 12 credits! Eleven more credits and I will enter the actual MSN phase of the program. (The work I'm doing now is considered a 'bridge' because my original BS degree is not in nursing.) The work at your own pace is very appealing to me, as I can pour it on for a week and complete an entire course, then take a few days off to switch gears and relax a bit.

I'm shocked at how much I've been able to accomplish - but working overnight shift in a homecare environment REALLY helps.:coffee3: so does the coffee!

From the pace I've been able to sustain, it looks as though my entire program will cost me less than $15K. AND I should be done by the time DS and DD#4 are in college simultaneously.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
wow you are doing great congrats !!!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Can I ask where you are doing your online MSN degree? Do you have to do any clinical hours, or is it totally online? I'd love to get a masters, and online sounds more manageable.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That's awesome! Congratulations. :)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: pip

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Progress report: As of last night, I've completed 20 credits since September 1st, and I have only three projects to complete before I am awarded my BSN degree. I'm actively looking for scholarships to help fund the next term, and if I have to, I'm applying for the AARP scholarship (hate to admit how 'qualified' I am for that one).
31 more credits, and I will have earned my MSN degree.

Reactions: Booklover

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Western Governors is such a great school! DH is enrolled in Elementary Education.

I'm considering Early Education. You can't beat their tuition!
No kidding!!! NOWHERE else could I have completed this degree for under $4k - and I anticipate the MSN portion to be around $15k including books.

Gov. Mitch Daniels has made WGU an official Indiana university, and WGU Indiana held it's first graduation ceremony in the State Capitol Rotunda last fall.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Submitted the LAST project today towards my BSN degree - as soon as it's graded, I will have completed 23 credits in 23 1/2 weeks! Just to be symbolic, I took my laptop out to my favorite recliner before I hit the 'submit' button! Nothing like a college education with your feet propped up!
Taking a couple months off to raise $$ for the next term, I think I can realstically complete the MSN degree in 3 terms. But for now, I'm looking for a new, better paying job - hopefully one that offers tuition reimbursement! That would just totally rock my world right now.

·
19,119 Posts
MC = a true inspiration!! Congratulations for all your hard work paying off!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
That is great! I was just looking at their elementary ed program- just wonder how it is viewed by employers as compared to more traditional schools- is it the same? I took a couple of classes online with a state school last year to complete my degree and did very well- I liked online school. But just have always wondered how it is viewed...anyways, that is so great for you!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats so awesome to hear you are doing well! how do you know for sure they are accredited? Thanks I am in Michigan.
WGU is unique in that they are accredited by ALL FOUR regional accrediting agencies. The nursing program is dual accredited also. Their teacher's college is accredited in all 50 states.

Reactions: serenity72

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is great! I was just looking at their elementary ed program- just wonder how it is viewed by employers as compared to more traditional schools- is it the same? I took a couple of classes online with a state school last year to complete my degree and did very well- I liked online school. But just have always wondered how it is viewed...anyways, that is so great for you!
I belong to a non-WGU sponsored forum of WGU students. The teacher program is HUGE, and you might want to ask students in that program your question. From what I gather, they have no problem getting DT time and the like.

www.wgustudents.com

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got my OFFICIAL notice this morning right before I went to bed - I have completed the BSN part of the program (I started this degree 30+years ago). So, officially, my signature is now:
Mary Carney, BSN, RN. How cool is that?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.