Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure most of you know about it but for those who dont and love to make afghans- there is a wonderful charity called "project Linus" (after linus from the peanuts who loves his blankie) they ask you to donate handmade blankets to them. It is a nationwide organization. I believe they also take yarn if you wish to donate some of your stash ;)
They give blankets to children in trammatic situations. For example sick kids in the hospital or survivors of natural disasters,ect.
I volunteered with the Red Cross (as a nurse) for a massive flood in my area, and in walked these ladies with a blanket for every child in the shelter :) One mom was so thrilled because her little 3 year old boy had a favorite "blankie" and it was sadly lost in the flood. So she was so happy to pick out a new blankie just for him :)
Its a wonderful thing to do if you like to make blankets but dont know what to do with them later. They take baby blankets too :)
Project Linus National Headquarters is the link and you can contact someone in your area if your interested :)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I've heard about this but haven't looked into it yet. Most of my 'spare' lapgans go to my Mom's church ladies. Although I could do a couple for this when I'm done with current projects. I have two full sized afgans I'm currently making. (Trying to reduce my current stash.) I think they're too big for something like this so I'm thinking of handing them over to a local homeless shelter / organization. I'll keep this in mind.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ren, they do take blankets for teens also so if you are worried about them being too big for children there are plenty of teens that would love to have a blanket :) But the homeless shelter is also a wonderful idea :tay:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Thank you for this link. I also "Liked" it on FaceBook. This is a very worthy cause.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts