Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked to see about our summer fill-up on propane and I about had a cow! Last year it was $2.10 a gallon (@ the discounted rate) and this year it's $2.71! :surprise: I couldn't believe it took that much of a jump in price! I guess we'll be using our woodstove a lot more this winter. It just kind of makes you wonder what will be next on these HUGE price jumps!

·
Registered
217 Posts
We just paid 3.65/gallon for 500 gallons. What can you do?

We're in North Central PA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brutal. We're going through the same thing (I think it's $2.79/gal this year). I'm furiously trying to convince my husband to put in a woodburning stove. Wish me luck!

·
2,688 Posts
I just recently paid off our propane bill for our last seasonal contract. Which runs from Sept to end of June the following year.
Our last plan was for 20 % down and $ 103 a month. We use approximatly 500 gallons a year for heat and our kitchen stove.
Last September our price was $ 2.44 a gallon.
I aksed her what the current price is ...... $ 3.70 gallon.
She was not sure what the contract price would be come
September.
I told her I really did not care that much what it was.

We bought a outside wood furnace recently which will be hooked into our current inside furnace setup and the hot water heater.
We are going to start buying our wood early this summer for the upcoming heating season.

I told my hubby......I refuse to be held hostage by the propane company and the electric company.

·
27,948 Posts
We use propane for our water heater and a small room heater, so it's a smaller tank than most. They came yesterday and charged us $4.33/gal. :thud:

·
Registered
197 Posts
This weekend I just set up a budget plan with our propane company and was locked in at $2.87 a gallon- the downfall is that they are basing it on more than what we used last year (we only had 3 fill ups from October til now and they are basing it on 4 fill ups!). Needless to say that we are going to be using our fireplace a lot more this year!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Most propane companies will charge customers more if their tank is smaller than average. We have a 1000 gallon tank, and last year from August 2007-March 2008 we were charged an average of 2.24 per gallon. However, our neighbor, who has a 500 gallon tank was charged 2.49 per gallon.
We typcially do not sign up for their contract plan, as it's been our experience that the price of propane doesn't go up as high as they're expecting it to. With that being said, we're seriously considering it this year. And you can count us among those who'll be using their woodburner a lot more this winter.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Our propane company will give us the lower rate if it goes below what we actually paid for the pre-buy plan.
Last year propane per gallon $1.69
This year we were told to expect at least $2.69.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, propane comes from the distillation of crude oil, so with gas going up, every other product of crude will too.

Reactions: gg

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow. I was coming here to post and complain about the price we could lock in this year - $2.49 per gallon. It looks like that is a really fair price compared to most of you.

When we moved into this house in 1999, propane was around 90 cents per gallon.

Two years ago, we locked in at 1.49 per gallon. We paid $20 for this "service".

Last year we paid $49 to lock in at $1.89 per gallon. I was out shoveling snow one day when the propane guy came for our fill. I asked him about prices and he said some customers were paying 2.49 per gallon. Yikes.

I think I'll lock in at $2.49. Scary.

We also have a wood buring fireplace that we do use as alternative heat. We have lowered our propane useage for 2 years in a row. I think DH is now looking at an outdoor wood burner.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think DH is now looking at an outdoor wood burner.
My husband is wanting to do this too...it's more efficient heat, and like he says, it'll keep the mess out of the house!! lol

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
guess our log fireplace will be on a little less this year. Heck when we got it, it was cheaper to use it to supplement the electric heat, but now you can't seem to catch a break on any type of heat. They seriously need to do something about this oil situation soon.

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
We ONLY have a wood stove for heating. BUT we go thru about 8 cord of wood in the winter here.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I don't use propane for heat, but I've also noticed the tank refills for the grill are now $20. Last year, I paid $17. We have two tanks, and I like to keep them full in the event of an emergency. I also like to keep a 6 pk of the canisters for the camp stove and lantern. That little camp stove came in handy for a friend earlier this year when they moved into a rental home that did not have a working stove.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
We don't have the ability to pre-buy or contract for a certain price, wish we did. I think ours was at 2.49 when I called a couple weeks ago. Trying to hold off here as long as possible, but may be smarter to just buy it now before it goes up much more. sheesh!

·
Registered
201 Posts
We have two tanks, and I like to keep them full in the event of an emergency.
We have 2 tanks for our grill, and I've never thought about keeping them filled in the event of an emergency. Thanks for the tip!!! It not only would be good for winter emergencies, but also for summer ones as well. You just never know when a summer storm will knock out power and you need to cook!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts