Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got married I had little to no experience handling money. DH and I came from total opposite families when it came to money. His parents saved every extra dime, were very frugal (the kids got no extras), and dealt in cash only. My parents, well my dad was ill and on disability for 6 years before he passed away at the age of 49, leaving my mom with 3 small kids still at home. She lived on a fixed income and cleaned houses for extra money, and splurged on us as often as she could. She never had a savings account or owned a home, her extent of budgeting was just stretching the money to make it last till the end of the month.
Needless to say, when I got my first job as a nurse, I went shopping. DH has always been good about stashing cash for a rainy day, me, if I had money I could always think of something the kids needed or we needed for the house. I have attempted several times in the past to "start" to be frugal and work on savings, and have fallen of the wagon each time. Now that my kids are pre-teen, they are more active than ever and at that they are too old for day care so I want to be home more. I told DH I was going to start a budget a couple of months ago and start saving/cutting back on spending so I could not only stay home more, but be debt free. He just says, "OK." I know he's thinking "I wonder how long it will last this time." I know you are supposed to work on the budget together, but I have always paid the bills in our house, he deposits a set amount each week in the checking and I take care of the bills. I am determined to do it this time and I am going to wait until I get the EF up to $1000, then just put the savings book on his dinner plate. I don't think he will take me seriously until then, and I can't say as I blame him LOL.
Sorry this was so long. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and how you handled it?

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I too take care of the finances here at home too and we hardly have any extra to "save" but I think you have a great plan and you really have to stick to it, once he see's the savings book he might take you a bit more seriously.

The first step to realizing you have a problem is to admit it, so your in the right direction :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts