Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have PTSD as a result of.... well it's a very long story.

Anyways, it makes it interesting because one of the things I have anxiety over is finances. I am working on getting debt free because I think that will lower the anxiety levels. But I also have to be very careful not to scrimp on self-care.

I have found that some things (like massages and housekeeping help) are necessities for me to keep calm, whereas they might be luxuries for others. So it is a constant balancing act to carefully consider what things are necessities for me and what I can skip. Fortunately I have a good paying (and highly stressful) job, family who cares and helps, and a stable life now.

Anyone else working through the anxieties and other symptoms of PTSD while trying to keep the frugal financial house in order?

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Well, I don't know if I would say I have PSTD but I was suffering from quite a bit of anxiety due to an accident my DH had 5 years ago (long story also) and also having 2 kids w/ ADD and ADHD.
Anyway what I wanted to tell you was we have finally become debt free after a five year struggle and the level of anxiety is reduced immensely. Just keep yourself on a steady course w/o severely depriving yourself and you will win.

As far as massages and other small "treats" go,if they're therapuedic then why not. If beats drinking or over eating or any other self destructive behaviors right?
Hope things keep heading in the right direction for you.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I have PTSD, have had it since I was 3, got diagnosed at 45.

I don't know if I have money issues related to PTSD or not, I've never been an adult without PTSD, so I can't separate the two.

I have learned to live with my PTSD and have been told I'm "high functioning" whatever that means?

But, yeah, I have it, have had it, and will have it, forever.

Judi

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My oldest son suffers from PTSD. He doesn't do very well. It from going to Iraq and all the horrors he has witnessed. Hes a toldlly different person now then he was defore.
Fern

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
My husband has PTSD. I have been through so much since he has come home from Iraq. We have come a long way, and I know how to deal with it now. It is not easy but I have learned a great deal.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I think that the part of PTSD that sees yourself as a potential victim all the time probably kicks in about money. I'm always wanting to plan for the worst, and hope for the best. DH who does NOT have PTSD doesn't understand my anxiety about money, because he doesn't "get" the PTSD this way. It's one thing to tell someone about it, but it's another to wake up with your heart pounding at 1 am because you've had a dream you were starving or someone stole all your food....

Judi

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I was diagnosed 2 years ago. Just from childhood issues. Hugs to you. If those massages and house cleaner works for you that is great. Can't put a price on what helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.