Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pumpkin Pie Squares

Recipe Description
Can't decide between a piece of pumpkin or a piece of pecan pie? Don't like to make pies? This recipe is a yummy combination of both pumpkin and pecan pie and makes a large 13x9-inch pan.​
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
Base:
1 c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter
------------------

Pumpkin filling:
1 15-oz. can pumpkin
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 can (13-1/2-oz.) evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
1/4 t. cloves
---------------------

Topping:
3/4 c. chopped pecans (I use more)
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 T. butter​
Serves:
24 - 2" squares.​
Directions:
Mix the base ingredients (flour, brown sugar, butter) until crumbly and press into a 13x9x2-inch pan. Bake 15 minutes at 350°F.

Mix pumpkin filling ingredients together in a large bowl and beat well. Pour mixture over baked crust. Return to the oven and bake 20-minutes at 350°F.

Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle over pumpkin filling and bake 15-20 minutes more. Remove from oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack.

Cut into 2-inch squares.​

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MMMMMM Do you think I could sub almond or coconut flour for the regular four?
If you are looking for a gluten-free alternative to flour, almond (or other nut flour) would probably work, sorghum flour would also be a good choice, or substitute gluten-free baking mix - http://www.bobsredmill.com/gf-biscuit-mix.html (or a homemade mixture). You could also use dried GF breadcrumbs or GF cereal or cookies (crushed) - GF Ginger Snap Cookies or other plain hard cookie crumbs would work. Coconut flour is too expensive to use, in my opinion - especially when I get sorghum free.... :thumb:

·
19,119 Posts
What a wonderful, decadent recipe - mahalo for sharing!!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
If you are looking for a gluten-free alternative to flour, almond (or other nut flour) would probably work, sorghum flour would also be a good choice, or substitute gluten-free baking mix - http://www.bobsredmill.com/gf-biscuit-mix.html (or a homemade mixture). You could also use dried GF breadcrumbs or GF cereal or cookies (crushed) - GF Ginger Snap Cookies or other plain hard cookie crumbs would work. Coconut flour is too expensive to use, in my opinion - especially when I get sorghum free.... :thumb:
Thank you for the info. I need to make it gluten free and lo glycemic. I can sub stevia or splenda for the sugars.

I'm definitely going to try this. It has my all time 2 favorites in it. Pecans and pumpkin.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the info. I need to make it gluten free and lo glycemic. I can sub stevia or splenda for the sugars.

I'm definitely going to try this. It has my all time 2 favorites in it. Pecans and pumpkin.
Good luck with your alterations. I have used agave nectar (low-glycemic) as the sweetener in the filling, and used less sugar in the base and topping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts