Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is moving in and DH needs new gloves. Both of his good pairs got ruined this summer when trees fell on our car and filled it with water and mold.

He is hard on gloves, he will destroy a cheap pair and plain knits won't keep him warm. So I am looking for leather outer with fleece or thermal lining, or wool in there somewhere.

I have no idea what stores to go to for something like this, so far all I have found is cheap acrylic knit mittens. I'd rather not drive all over town if someone knows where I can find good quality menswear.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Do they have to be dressy? If not, check out places that sell hunting supplies like fleet stores or sporting goods places.

I know what you mean about being hard on gloves. My husband can go through a pair of gloves in two or three wearings, if they're work gloves. Even if he just drives with them, he'll inevitably use them to scrape the windshield or something and he never stops to think leather gloves can't be laundered.

I sometimes make gloves using this pattern: Native American Crafts and Supplies: Gloves, Gauntlets and Mittens Pattern

It's kind of a fun pattern to sew. I don't usually use leather but I probably should. Any lightweight, supple leather could be used and a fleece liner could be made for more warmth. I don't make gloves for work use, but just for general purpose use, they last longer. They sew up pretty quickly so it's not a bad job.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The only place I can think of is a Farm/Ranch store. I would just head down to that store, have several choices and be done with it. Do you have something like that in your neck of the woods?

Reactions: Contrary Housewife

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I don't know of any farm/ranch stores, but we have a couple large sporting/hunting shops around town.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
DH gets good insulated leather work gloves at Tractor Supply if you have one near you. He's hard on gloves too and these last him through winter and summer till the next winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts