Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a lot of apples that I need to prepare for the dehydrator. I really want to get an appler peeler/slicer gadget. I think it would save me so much time. Does anyone have one? Which kind do you have? What did it cost? Are they worth it? Thanks, your input is appreciated!

Reactions: frugalfranny

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
After having done seemingly "tons" of apples over the years using different methods, I DON'T bother to peel them, just wash them well using a solution of Grapefruit Seed Extract and water.

The tool I suggest you invest in is a cutting Mandolin for slicing food for the dehydrator.

You don't even need to remove the core when you slice apples using a cutting mandolin. Slicing the apple from the stem to the bottom of the apple on a mandolin, the seeds fall out when you give the slices the acid bath (a must to help prevent potential bacteria growth). Those that don't - fall out during drying, or for that one or two seeds, just poke them out with a toothpick. You have very little waste using this method - other than cutting out any bad spots on the apple. If you don't core the apple before slicing on the mandolin, your slices will have a really cool "star" in the middle of each slice. You can also core the apple before slicing, but once again, it's a lot of wasted food.

You get better results for ALL sliced food you are dehydrating by having the slices the same thickness, and the mandolin makes that possible. If you are not careful with the thickness of slices when you cut them by hand with a knife, you have thin slices getting brown and over-done, and increase risk of having some apples that aren't as dehydrated as they should be because they are too thick, and that could eventually be a source of mold growth in your food.

If you ever dehydrate potato slices, having them the same thickness is almost a MUST so they all dehydrate at the same rate in the same amount of time. Potatoes are notorious for molding from improper preparation and insufficient drying time for those thick slices when hand-cut. I always place dehydrated potatoes in small batches for storage, and check them often for any signs of mold. You can also freeze the slices to prevent mold.

Another good tool for apples is the gadget that you push through the apple from top to bottom that cores and slices the apple into wedges. You can then quickly slice the wedges into thin slices with a paring knife. I don't use this method very much because it wastes so much of the apple and takes a lot more time than using a mandolin. I cut the dehydrated apple rings into smaller pieces with kitchen shears if I don't want a whole apple ring.

Another hint for drying food to help prevent mold is to place like-sized pieces all on one tray. For instance, when you cut a potato on a mandolin the ends are smaller than the middle of the potato, so I put all the pieces from the two ends on one tray, and then the larger slices on another tray. This way they dry evenly because of the similar sizes and the slices are all the same thickness from slicing on a mandolin.

I dehydrate at least 50-80 pounds of apples each year.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I have the pampered chef apple peeler/corer/slicer thing. I love it. It works great for what I need it for.
I prob paid around 40ish for it years ago.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thanks for all the great tips Grainlady! :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Thanks for asking this question....I have been wondering about them too.

Will be watching for more posts of people that have them.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have one.. I never use it. EVER.. it cuts the apple slices far too thin for the things I cook.

I do have this nifty little thing that cuts the core out of the apple while slicing the rest of it into 8ths. I use it all the time. The only thing is that it's manual so after about a bushel of apples, you are DONE!

However, you also have destroyed any vestiges of "grandma arm" that might have been creeping up on you!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I just saw a corer/wedge cutter thingy in a catalogue this afternoon and thought it looked pretty cool. I have a peeler, and have only used it a couple times when I had about 20lbs to do at once. But then I stopped taking the peels off for dehydrating, and haven't used it since. I will use it again if I ever do a big pile of pies. It was only $6, and doesn't core, but the peeling really did speed things up.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I do have this nifty little thing that cuts the core out of the apple while slicing the rest of it into 8ths. I use it all the time. The only thing is that it's manual so after about a bushel of apples, you are DONE!
I have one of those too and I use it to slice apples for pies, or to eat raw with caramel sauce...yum!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts