Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you use velvetta cheese if it is past expired date but never been unraped and have been in refrigator?

would you use American sliced cheese if past expired date and have been in refrigator and never been unraped?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Yes, if it is sealed and shows no sign of mold.

If it was real cheese and it had a little mold, I would cut it off. Mold is a natural part of the ageing process and does not always mean it is "bad".

If a processed cheese product was moldy I would toss it.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Yes, within reason. A few weeks or a month out? Sure. Not sure exactly where my line on that is, but say, 4-6 months out? Nope.

Things don't magically go bad on the expirations dates, so as long as it passes the visual/sniff test and some common sense is applied, it's most likely just fine. I too would cut off a moldy bit and used the rest, assuming there's only a little on one part.

Reactions: piney

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I wouldn't use Velvetta cheese under any circumstances :lol:

If it were a good quality, aged cheese, I'd look for mold. If it had just a bit, I might cut it off and use it. Otherwise, I'd throw it out.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If the mold is anything different from white, don't eat it. If the mold is white, you can cut it off and eat it, if you are not allergic to penicillin. If you are, don't eat old cheese, believe me it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would likely eat it if it looked & smelled OK. Velveeta is my absolute favorite for grilled cheese sandwiches. I know it is not "real" cheese, but it is a comfort food from my childhood. I rarely have grilled cheese any more, but when I do, I want Velveeta!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use velvetta when I make home made mac and cheese and Mexican chicken or rotel dip.

Reactions: Winkie

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I don't use Velveeta but on the sliced cheese ... I've used it FAR FAR past the expiration date. Further than I care to admit. There's so many preservatives in sliced cheese it'll be here at the end of time. As long as the individual slices are wrapped/sealed I would use it unless you see or smell something funky.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Embarrassing admission:

Earlier this year I made a delicious spinach alfredo lasagna. After I made it, I had a little bit of ricotta left over, which I used to make grilled cheese. It was then that I realized that the expiration date on the ricotta was about a year before I made it. At that point, the lasagna had already been eaten.

It was delicious, and no one was harmed. The really embarrassing part - we had moved, and some how the ricotta made it from old house to new house without me noticing.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
It seems amazing sometimes how long perishables can last when completely sealed off from harmful bacteria and air. I love hearing about historical finds where they bring up food still sealed in urns or jars from ancient times. Not that I would eat any of *that*.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I used to keep fake sliced cheese forever. It went from the Sams multipack into the meat crisper and stayed forever. I never realized it had an exp. until lately. I dont think the packs are labeled just the box? Either way we arent dead.

Velveeta not a fan but I would say at least a month after.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Thought of this thread when I saw a great NPR article about expiration dates-

Don't Fear That Expired Food : The Salt : NPR

Despite the reassurances given, I'll skip the off-smelling meat or dairy, but it's a great read.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts