Frugal Village Forums banner

question about cold frames

682 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Darlene 
#1 ·
I don't have one and I don't see us building one anytime soon, BUT is an unheated garage or 3 season porch just as good?

#2 ·
I would think that if they get the heat of the day yes. Ours is a little put together thing of pressure treated wood with a hinged plexiglass top. It's maybe 40x46. It really helped us this year. We don't use ours to harden things off, we plant 6 weeks ahead of when they are to be set out and just pop them in the cold frame. We keep an eye on them to make sure they are watered and do prop it open on really warm days. I love having one, albeit small.:)

#3 ·
40x46 isn't small. :toothy: I wondered if a garage was too warm. I have built in closets in the garage with shelves. I could open the closet doors and set the flats in there with lights or the 3 season porch without lights.

#4 ·
Sounds like a plan to me!
We planted our lettuce,various herbs & flowers in ours. On Thursday Dh planted the garden except the tomatoes ( they'll continue to grow in the cold frame as it's still a little cold yet for them) and some plants and herbs I haven't gotten around to planting. Too much rain this spring!!! So neat to start things from seed and watch them grow.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.