Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about three items on my credit score that I want to make right and resolve. They are fairly small and I didn't even know they were there until recently when I took a look at my "official" credit scores across all three reporting agencies. My question is this - once I pay these bills how do I get these off of my credit report? Is it as easy as contacting the companies and simply asking??

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Once an item is reported to your credit report, it remains there for 7 years. If you pay against the debt, the creditor will report the payment and the clock on that 7 years re-starts. If you pay OFF the debt, the debt will show paid as in a zero balance, but it will still be late. The creditor doesn't take the item off your report unless there was a mistake in putting it on there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It used to be standard practice to restart the clock if a payment is made, but this is now illegal. Once it has been seven years it will fall off whether you pay it or not. Paying it will help your score as a zero balance on a collections is always better than a negative balance. In have heard of collection agencies agreeing to delete the item upon payment, but I don't know how likely that is.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some good news to update this thread. When I asked the question I had discovered three small things on my credit report that I didn't know were there. I contacted the companies that had these items, paid them in full, and then asked if they could be removed from my credit report. All three said yes!! And I'll receive confirmation in writing of that as well. This makes me soooo happy!! My credit isn't great, but it is rebuilding and with the items in collection off my report ~ it will help it get better. So I'm doing a major credit report happy dance today!! :0)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts