Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my dehydrator about 2 years ago, I was drying a lot of food, but now I hardly use it. Part of the reason is because I haven't found good buys on produce to dehydrate, but mainly because I don't really like the re-hydrated food. Most of the vegetables (peas, carrots, celery, etc) are in vacuum-sealed canning jars, stored in a kitchen cupboard. I am trying to use what I have stored that is two years old, and I find that some of the flavor is lost. Do you find that dehydrated food loses flavor after a year, or it is because I stored the food in vacuum-sealed clear glass jars? I thought by storing the jars in a cupboard, they wouldn't be exposed to light.
(I still love my dehydrator for apples, strawberries and mushrooms, so I'll keep drying those!)

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
It does loose color and flavor after a while, even stored in the dark and vacuum sealed.

I like to use the dried vegs in rice pilaf. Have to put in some extra water for them when cooking it. They add nice color if they are not too old.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CH, pilaf is a good idea. I could add the dehydrated veggies to the rice in the rice cooker for a fast, easy meal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts