Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a new furnace put in Sept 2014. How often do I need to change the filter and how do I do it? My late husband used to take care of all these things, I know nothing. ty.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
They told us we should change it every six months, however... we rarely remember, so I would say we don't do it often enough. That being said, we've never actually had an issue with the furnace.

·
Super Moderator
19,752 Posts
Our gas guy told us, after we had a $300 after-hours service call, to change ours every month, and also that in his professional opinion, lack of changing filters was the reason for the service call.

See if you can find the owner's manual for the furnace. There should be instructions in there telling you how often to change the filters on your particular model.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Our gas guy told us, after we had a $300 after-hours service call, to change ours every month, and also that in his professional opinion, lack of changing filters was the reason for the service call.

See if you can find the owner's manual for the furnace. There should be instructions in there telling you how often to change the filters on your particular model.
I've always read and been told that once a month is optimum. Do we do that? No. But from the looks of ours when he does change it ... it should be done a lot more often than we do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I change mine monthly except for the month of October. I rarely use the heat or air in October so I do skip one month a year.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
also - do get it serviced 2x year - fall and spring. to be sure all is in working condition and they change filters at that time. better to pay upfront for srvc 2x yr than have it stop working andhave a larger bill...imho

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
We change our filter once a month. We can't use the best kind otherwise the furnace doesn't get enough air flow so once a month is the best we can do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts