Frugal Village Forums banner

Question about no spend days

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kittykatstrong 
#1 ·
Sometimes I work till 1 or 2 in the morning if I make a stop and spend money do you think it would count on the day before or the day I am on. I think that it sould go on the day before because you have not slept yet and my Dh thinks it should go on the it is on.

What do you think?

#5 ·
Also, counting it as the next day kind of gives you a psychological license to spend when you wake up, since you've already blown the no spend day anyway.
That is funny, because I had the exact opposite reaction. :) To me, counting it as the SAME day gives you an excuse to stop and spend more money if you've already spent that day. And counting it toward the next day discourages you from stopping and buying anything, because you don't want to start your new day as a "spend" day. :)

#7 ·
I guess that is kind of my point. You are correct that if you hadn't spent that day, you would probably be unlikely to spend at the very end of it, if you counted it toward that day. Why blow it at the 11th hour? But the likelihood is far greater that you WOULD have spent that day, as you had all day to spend, and you are at the end of it, and then it would be more of a "well, I already blew my no-spend day anyway" type of situation. The next day, when you woke up, you'd have ALL day again. So you are tacki ng on an expense at the "end" of your day, because it is easier to justify it if you spent already.

But if you count the 1am stop as the next day, and you KNOW that by stopping and spending, you are already blowing your whole day, you will be LESS likely to stop and spend.

#8 ·
I agree that it doesn't matter how you count it as long as you are consistent so you don't have wiggle room. I am a night owl and stay up past midnight a lot, it is today until I sleep for me. Since you are the one up and out at that time of night it should probably be what you feel comfortable with so you don't find yourself making excuses.

#9 ·
I've had this problem with other things in the past because I have weird sleep schedules (or, at least, used to have - not quite as much anymore). I long ago decided that a "day" was from when I got up to when I went to bed. I think it doesn't matter - pick whichever you think is going to benefit you more (ie which is going to make you spend less). For me, if I was up until one am and, say, went to go grab something at the store, if I counted that as that calendar day, I'd feel like "well, I've blown it, so it doesn't really matter". Whereas if I spent my day trying not to spend, I'd be less likely to do so at the end of the day. But your mileage may vary.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.