Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if having the ice maker in my freezer disconnected would save on electricity costs? We had to disconnect it the other day because it wasn't working right. We could fix it but I don't really like the taste of the ice anyway and was wondering if it would be better to just leave it alone if the costs for running it would decrease.

Thanks!
Kris B

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Do you have an inline filter?? that would help on the taste. Now for the electric the only real electricity that is using over what the fridge is using is when it augers out the ice. It isnt using electricity to freeze the ice as the freezer is already running. Now if you are going to go purchase ice instead of making your own you would spend more money buying ice than the ice maker would use. Mine has been disconnected for about 2 months and my electric bill hasnt gone down enough from that for me to even notice that it running or not.Just looking online the yearly cost for operating a fridge ice maker is about $10 per year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! We have been buying ice so I guess for us it would be better to get it fixed. Thanks so much for the reply! I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've had mine disconnected for awhile now as it stopped working and we just haven't had the time or the money to get it fixed. Then again we don't use that much ice so we don't buy ice either. It was just easier to get those ice trays and make ice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts