Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

I've been at a technology conference (21st Century Learning) all day, and two online, role-playing games kept being mentioned: Second Life and World of Warcraft

Are any of you familiar with these games, and if so, what can you tell me about them? I know Second Life is free and World of Warcraft costs $15 a month. Other than that, I know nothing.

Anyone who can help? (Looking for your thoughts and opinions, please...I've already done some online research.)

Thanks! :wave:

·
Registered
713 Posts
World of warcraft.....is a highly addictive massive online role playing game. Basically you get a character, you customize it, you gain levels. Once you reach the maximum level, you get together with friends to conquor bosses. Usually groups of 5-25 people get together in the online community to do this, and they are highly organized. Imagine a hockey team or football team, only in an online community. That is the level of organization some people have.
The problem is the highly addictive nature of the game. There are always new 'bosses' to be conquored, you can play directly against players of opposing factions (races), killing their characters in the game. Each character in the online world is a real person sitting behind a computer somewhere.
Not only are they able to charge you $15.00 a month to play the game, you need to pay 39.99 (may have gone down) for the game itself, plus around 29.99-49.99 for each of the two expansion packs. So around $150.00 after taxes for the game, plus $15.00 a month if you use your credit card. If you want to do things like change to a different server, change your character from a boy to a girl, change your race, change your name, each of these things costs between $15.00 and $30.00 for a one-time thing.
Blizzard, the company that makes the World of Warcraft game are a bunch of marketing geniuses in my opinion. They know when people are getting sick or tired of playing their game, and it is at that exact moment that they add something new and interesting inside the game for people to do. You get bonuses, like a free month of play and in game perks like pets and horses for recruiting your friends to play. Got a friend who stopped playing a while ago? Well convince them to come back and we'll give you more perks.
The problem is the game is so addictive a lot of people spend too much time in game and not enough time out of game. I'll not deny that its a fun game, but you need to treat it like a hobby. Some people spend 12-13-14 hours a day playing. There is an option to check how many hours you have played non stop, some people have over a year. More than a year of their life in the past 5 years has been spent logged on to that game. I have seen people drop out of school or lose jobs because they don't know when to stop playing. I have seen peoples relationships ruined because it can become an addiction as bad as any other, and people don't know how to treat this type of addiction.
So basically, a really fun addictive game, but only play it if you know how to set limits for yourself (or your children/family etc.). I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 16, and I would never recommend it for someone of any age who is suffering from any form of depression or has an ultra addictive personality, as these tend to be types of people who play excessive amounts, mostly because their online life is in their mind more productive than their actual life.

Reactions: AmyBoz

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
World of Warcraft is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

You play a virtual character that is a fantasy hero type. You could be an elf, human, dwarf, minotaur, orc, or a zombie. Your character can then also be a warrior, a mage, a healer, a thief, and there are other choices.

You roam around the virtual world taking on quests, killing bad guys (or good guys), collecting treasure, gaining power, and ruining your social life in the real world.

·
Registered
525 Posts
ok I can tell u all about second life! I played it for like over 2 yrs. It is just has addictive as wow. It starts free but u can use ur real money to buy lindens,games form of cash. U get to make ur avatar look anyway u want. U can do anything in the world travel the world too. It is amazing but be warned it can cost you alot more the money.I can say I had it as an addiction.But man did I have a great time and meet some great ppl I still keep intouch with daily.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
and ruining your social life in the real world.
not necessarily so.

My husband has played WOW for years. My son has played along and now gets to play on this own with supervision.

Both are well adjusted and have real lives also.

Reactions: AmyBoz and Libby

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Hi all...

I've been at a technology conference (21st Century Learning) all day, and two online, role-playing games kept being mentioned: Second Life and World of Warcraft

Are any of you familiar with these games, and if so, what can you tell me about them? I know Second Life is free and World of Warcraft costs $15 a month. Other than that, I know nothing.

Anyone who can help? (Looking for your thoughts and opinions, please...I've already done some online research.)

Thanks! :wave:
You can decided if you want to be PVE or PVP

PVE is "players versus environment" (computer based) The people you are playing against are not real people on the other end but computer programs, however the people you are playing with are real people (others playing the game).

PVP stands for Player versus player where you play against other players. In this type of realm the people you are playing with and against are real people, other players on the other end of the computer.

Just curious what did they mention about the games in your conference?

·
Registered
314 Posts
There are three games inside World of Warcraft:

1) "Levelling" which involves repeating the same tasks over and over against higher levels of monsters controlled by the computer. Your character gains experience and abilities by doing this, allowing it to fight even higher levels of monsters.

2) PvP, which involves your character (and possibly teammates) fighting other player-controlled characters.

3) Instancing or dungeoning, which involves joining in teams of 5 to 25 other plays and fighting a pre-set level of various monsters, some of which require a high level of coordination among the teammates to defeat.

You can participate in all three at once, but some choose to specialize in just No. 2 or No 3. It's fun, but it can be very repetitive. It's most fun if you are playing with a group of players you are either good friends with online or friends in real life.

Second Life is awful. Absolutely awful. In theory it could be great, but in practice nobody ever does anything but create crappy stuff that they try to sell to everyone else but nobody ever buys. There's supposed to be a ton of interaction, but it's almost impossible to actually interact with anyone.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I guess its highly addictive as others have said. I keep finding that these online role playing games are the norm, almost like having a cell phone. You put a group of people around a table and they seem to have nothing in common, mention WoW and BAM you can't get them to shut up! LOL

Thats just my observation. I can totally see how it can ruin people's social life and skills.

Its like when my siblings gather...they all golf except for me. Once someone slips and brings it up - there goes the entire convo for the day and the group splits - golfers vs non golfers.

My best friend and her husband used to play this game. One would play while the other would watch. They canceled their cable for this game. They would come home, take care of her son and do the house/family thing and after dinner BAM both of them would be glued to the computer. Then her son wanted to play and he got caught up into it and he was only allowed to play with grandma online. After my friends had my godson, they soon found no more time for the game seeing that the baby needed constant attention 24/7. They canceled their subscription to Wow and re-ordered cable. Since then, they're back to being humans and not WoW zombies however their son is still very much addicted. The only place he can play this game is at grandma's now...kinda smart...he's supervised there :)

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
When people say "addictive" what they mean is that it takes forever to do things in the game. It's not the sort of game you can sit down with for 30 minutes when you have time to kill.

I played a similar MMORPG called Asheron's Call for ten years. They add new content every month so there is always something new to do. But getting your character up and ready to go "hunting" or "raiding" takes time. You have to select your weapons and armor, make sure you have healing potions (make them or buy them) make sure you have your magic items charged, have all the components you need to cast spells, etc. Get on chat and gather your friends, wait for them to get ready, run to the meeting place.... BAM an hour has passed and you haven't even DONE anything yet.

The worlds are deadly, you will get killed and you will resurrect somewhere. And then you start over, getting stuff you need, casting your protection spells, and making the long run out to where your friends are waiting for you so the group can continue. Now two hours have passed and you're in the *middle* of the quest adventure.

These games are designed this way on purpose, so folks don't complete too many quests too quickly, so they spend days or weeks online trying to reach certain goals, and so you keep paying that monthly fee to play. The game is a constant scavenger hunt for more magic items, better armor, more experience points, rare items, over and over again. There is always more that you want or need for your character to make it just a little bit better. People who have the time, like high school kids, students, and the jobless will get more and better stuff.

It can be a lot of fun with the right group of online friends. And $15 a month is pretty cheap entertainment compared to movies or arcades or other things young people like to spend money on. But as others have said, it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
When people say "addictive" what they mean is that it takes forever to do things in the game.
I believe that some people mean "Addictive" as in addiction, similar to alcohol, drug, etc addiction or psychological addictions. Psychologist are starting to study "gaming addiction" to see if their is any validity to it.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I believe that some people mean "Addictive" as in addiction, similar to alcohol, drug, etc addiction or psychological addictions. Psychologist are starting to study "gaming addiction" to see if their is any validity to it.
That is part of what I meant. There is always something else to do in those games. One more thing, a few more minutes... it is designed to keep people involved and some people can't let go of it. To get anywhere in the game (gain levels, equipment, prestige) you *have* to spend a lot of time at it, whether you're obsessed with it or not. And yes, people will become obsessed with it.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
My 3 boys and I all play WOW. They pay for their subscriptions themselves or they don't play. We don't have cable and pretty much never go out, so we for us it is entertainment. The last time I went to a theater was over 4 years ago. I monitor how much time the kids spend online and they must spend an equivalent amount of time reading and doing some kind of physical activity. The twins spent an hour online today so they went and shovelled driveways(earning some cash too) and then walked the dog for the rest of the time they needed, then they came home and curled up with their books and cocoa for another hour. I get told all the time I am such a mean mom but oh well!!
WOW can be very addictive though, if you are not careful. I had a friend that would stay up most of the night playing, get a few hours sleep and then go to work, come home and do it all again. I really enjoy playing but you do tend to get distracted in game and lose track of time, so when I go on I generally set a timer. And I don't do alot of group playing, I usually do all the quests and instances on my own, that way I don't feel guilty for leaving a group when my time is up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm never sure if it's WoW that is addictive, or if people who want to sit around all day playing video games just happen to gravitate toward it.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! What wonderful information you guys have given me! I appreciate everyone's input.

Imagine...to answer your question, there were two different workshops. One of them talked about Second Life as a way to teach entrepreneurial skills, but more importantly, it was being used in a technology class and the kids were creating movies and commercials using Second Life.

In the WoW workshop, it was this group of high level administrators (assistant superintendents, principals, etc) who were talking about how they formed a guild (?) to play WoW, and that, although they are playing the game, they are using it as a professional learning community, and that within the game, the chat that they engage in is about educational research and education in general. They say it has helped them grow professionally, because during the course of an educators day, there isn't a lot of time for this type of talk, but through the game, at night, at home, they can engage. Also, they say that it has helped them connect with kids because this is what kids spend their time doing when they aren't in school...whether it is WoW or other games or just being online in general. Kids are wired differently than when we were kids, and so this is a way for the adults to understand more about the world the kids live in.

I think I rambled there, but I hope I answered your question!

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
WoW is completely nuts.

I played it from a few months after release until this past September. I wouldn't go back.

I know a lot of people who got so incredibly addicted to it that it caused them to divorce and become socially isolated from other people. They were logging on to "raid", do player vs player fighting and just farming herbs and materials for potions/elixirs/flasks because they couldn't find anything outside of the game to do. They were making excuses to avoid situations because they couldn't get away from it.

Some people try WoW, they either like it or they don't. I liked it until it just got boring, then I moved on...

to Aion.

:D

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Turn up the humor detector. ;)
Loved this: I did need to turn it up. Thanks.

By the way:
This is our new catch phrase at our house.

I showed it to hubby who laughed and then when son didn't catch a joke hubby said it to son. I laughed very loud at that

Hubby is home on vacation this week so there is lots of laughing going on.

Just what the doctor ordered.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts