Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My friend and I have been hatching a plan to take our two respective families together to Florida maybe for Christmas 2010. We would be 3 kids and 4 adults so I thought it would probably be easier to rent a house rather than stay in a hotel. I started looking and I noticed that many of the houses with pools had them all enclosed. I mentioned it to my Hubby and he said that he thought it was probably for the aligators, to keep them out. I thought it could be, but why enclose them totally??? So I'm thinking that it's a weather thing. Is it??

And while I'm at it... Is December an OK time to go to Florida? I imagine it's pretty much like Brisbane in winter. Cool mornings and evenings and mild days. We would be restricted to this time because it's our summer school holidays.

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
By enclosed do you mean by a pool cage? Black metal frames with mesh on all sides?

It's to keep bugs out of the pool. Mosquitoes, bees, lizards, snakes, etc. An alligator, in the right frame of mind, could tear right through screening, but this is incredibly rare. Really its just for bugs.

As for the weather, December is a great time to visit. It can get very chilly during the day, even at noon, so be prepared. Rain is also a possibility, though December is in the middle of our usual Dry Season. Temps are going to depend on where in Florida you are.

The school holidays mean that big tourist areas will be fairly busy as well. Beaches, amusement parks, etc.

I've lived in Florida my whole life and love it. Hope you have a good time!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
yep. to keep out bugs. we went to disney a few yrs back in december it was chilly chilly chilly. although, not nearly as cold as cleveland!!!:bigglass:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
How long is your 'summer' holiday??? We've been to Orlando in EARLY december, practically had the place to ourselves (Disney included) and found the weather OK. I'll take daytime in the 60-70's rather than 90+!!

We've also been in early February, and had equally good luck.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Yep, they are to keep out bugs and snakes. It is just like being outside though. It is all screen above and around.

I also believe that it feels cold to us Floridians, but not the Northeners.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
If it is really cold where you are in December then here will feel warm. First time years ago we came in November. We had on shorts and in the water. Lot of people looked at us like we were crazy. Course they lived here. To them it was chilly. NOW, 15 years later...you wouldn't catch me in the water in Nov period.

Reactions: baxjul
1 - 6 of 6 Posts