Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can cook, but i am not a baker. i was given about 15 bars of 100 percent cacao UNSWEETENED chocolate. it is the ghiradelli brand. what do i do with it? i was given this months ago and had no idea what to do with it so i stuck them all in my freezer. i went online to their website and recipe sites. i found a lot of recipies for cocoa, and sweetened chocolate but nothing for the unsweetened. well, maybe a couple but they were waaaaay over my skill and interest level.

what can i do with it ? can i make hot chocolate with it and add sugar? any ideas?

·
Registered
10,981 Posts
You can use it in any recipe that calls for cocoa powder, like cakes or brownies. The exchange is: 1 square of baking cocoa = 3Tablespoons cocoa powder. Just melt it and stir it in.

Yes, you can melt it into milk and make hot chocolate, with added sugar. I would start with 1/2 to 1 square per 8 oz cup of milk and see how you like it.

I used a bar today, melted it with some milk chocolate halloween candy and drizzled it over home made caramel popcorn. The unsweetened mixed with the milk chocolate made it sort of semi-sweet.

Reactions: rosey7415

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Wow.....that is a lot!!

I would keep looking on-line. Search a diff. way..........or even find how to substitute it for reg. choc..............the portion of sugar it takes, since it is so bitter. Supposed to be better for you..........but would have to bring it up past semi-sweet for me to put it in some recipes.

This might help..........good luck........keep looking, don't waste it.........that is good stuff.

Unsweetened chocolate recipes: 1

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you girls are great!!! i knew that no matter the question....someone could help :)

contrary housewife.....thanks for the exchange and letting me know i can use some to make hot chocolate :) oh...and pass me some of that popcorn please...sounds yummy!

frugalfanny...yes, it was a great deal....i knew i just had to use it...i just didn't know how.....lol

imagine......score!!! i never thought of kraft..i went to a few recipe sites....thanks again....i checked out some of the recipes there....some ARE in my baking level...lol

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
You can make lots of recipes w/chocolate girl lucky you!!! Do a search for recipes w/cooking chocolate and enjoy!I made red velvet cheesecakes w/cooking chocolate you don't know it's even in it. Have fun!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trishagirl.............l am drooling at the thought of that. i have never had red velvet cake, never mind red velvet cheesecake. this year i seen it in my bj's flier and decided it was time. so we bought one and it is in my freezer just waiting to come out on xmas day..........drool.....

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
If we're talking my skill and interest level, I'd be melting some of it with marshmallows and mixing it with rice crispies, but you are surely more accomplished than that!

What a great present! Enjoy every bite of it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dcompton.....you ARE my skill level......lol that is what is sooo sad about giving ME the chocolate.....roflmao! i will try this as well. these previous posters may make a baker out of me yet....:)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
dcompton.....you ARE my skill level......lol that is what is sooo sad about giving ME the chocolate.....roflmao! i will try this as well. these previous posters may make a baker out of me yet....:)
Be sure to let us know what you end up making with the WONDERFUL TREAT...........GOOD LUCK!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.