Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep having a debate with dh about electric fencing. He says it will keep goats in, I say they'll just take their horns and tear it down. Anyone have any experience with goats and electric fences? We want to temporarily move our 2 munchers into the woods and let them clean out the vines and weeds but don't want to put up permanent fencing. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! I just don't want to go out and spend money on electric fencing and then have them just tear it up or always be getting out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sorry can't help you. We raise pygmy's but we keep them in a fenced yard area without electric fencing.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
We raise boar goats and do not have an electric fence. Our herd is down to around 35 right now but at one time we had several hundred and managed to do it without electric fence. Yes they will get their horns caught in any fence. Luckily the ones we have now have smaller horns that grown more closely to their heads and do not tend to get caught as often. Rarely does SO have to get anyone unstuck. We have a child and I just did not want an electric fence around her. We feed the goats by hand sometimes (when we have veggies scraps) and she enjoys that. The fence we use is just a simple one but the metal wire is high strength and works well. SO would know more about this but he's not here. Hope this helps.

pat
pat

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I asked DH, his family raises goats. He said that the electric fencing should work fine. They should not tear it up.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kathy! I was hoping someone would have some experience with this. I think we'll give the electric fencing a try, if it works out ok then we should be able to move the goats from one area to another easily so they get plenty to eat and dh doesn't have to mow and weed so much.

Jojaby, we have pygmies too. Aren't they cute?

Pat, you have a LOT of goats, the most we've ever had at one time was 7. I'm not familiar with boar goats, are they meat goats or milkers? I see you live in VA too, what area are you in? We live in Augusta County.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Dana,
At one time SO had several hundred. The boar goats are meat goats. We sold off a lot of the acreage when we built the new house, so we reduced the herd to just what we needed to keep the fields mowed. We still sell off some every year but it's not that many. SO is outside right now giving them their monthly vaccinations (that's the worst part). We live in Axton, VA (Henry County). Looks like I am about 3 hours from you. :)

pat

·
Registered
166 Posts
I love the pygmies. One died yesterday and I was so sad about it. They're the only kind we'll have. We tried raising boar goats but we couldn't keep them from getting rot foot so we sold them. So far with the pygmies we haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can use electrified fences to keep goats in and do it safely without hurting the goats. There are electric fence systems available on the market that will do this and can be used for a variety of livestock, horses, pets and other animals. They are also a great deterrent for outside predators.

Make sure the fence is constructed properly in order to absorb some pressure from animals, snow and wind. The fence's energizer, must have enough power for the length of the fence and for the animals. Make sure the to properly ground rods and the connection to the energizer's ground terminal is properly secure.
Referencing:
Electric fence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Electric Fence Gates | Fishock
How to Install an Electric Fence | eHow.com

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I have a small herd of about 30, and I don't use electric fencing. My neighbor DOES use electric fencing. The one down side I would suggest you consider is that, if your goat DOES have a habit of sticking its head through the fence, and if it gets its horns stuck, it will have to sit there and get shocked until you rescue it. I have seen goats get wound up in the electric fencing and also who reach over an electric wire, get stuck, and get shocked every time they get so tired of fighting, they have to rest.

I think electric fencing is a great TEMPORARY solution if you want to control your goats into a small area for a limited time, but for permanent fencing, I really like the no-climb field fencing. The holes are too small to allow a goat to stick its head through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts