Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So DD7 has started to lets say develop a little bit. Her legs have become real hairy as well as her arms. She has started to develop ummm an odur. I have started telling her that she needs to wash everyday, and have started getting her to put babypowder under her arms, and on her feet.
Ok so is this normal?
I hit puberty at 9 was a b cup at 10. But I don't remember much about that time.
I would ask my mom but she won't really talk about these things.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My daughter (who is now 19) started developing really early in her life (9yo). At that point, I decided to skip away from as much processed foods as I possibly could and went to making as much as I possibly could from scratch.
At that time, I watched as her development stopped until she got a little older. BUT, I have no idea if it was coincidence OR if it did help.
I honestly think 9 yo is to early.... but then again... who knows. BUT, I do know that our foods (especially meats) are loaded with hormones that our bodies do not need. :grball:
I am sure my post probably will not help you the least, but just want you to know that you are not alone.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I researched this when my daughter started needing a bra. This is what I learned at that time.

The average age to start menstruation is 10. This does differ a bit my race with 8 being the lowest normal age by race to start menstruation. Girls do start to develop a few month to a few years before they start menstruation. They also tend to start on average three years earlier the their mother's did.

The medical definition of earlier puberty is - starts to go breast before 8. Some doctors say this needs to be lowered some say it doesn't.

If you are concerned and have the money you could have your doctor check her out to make sure everything is okay. I couldn't hurt.

Here is what the mayo clinic has to say about early puberty -precocious puberty ( signs symptoms , when to see a doctor, ect)
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/precocious-puberty/DS00883

Reactions: Rhiamon

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
my dd didn't start until she was 13 I mean exactly, it was close to her birthday.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I read the mayo clinic and she has started to get acne as well. She is not over weight by any means she is in the 25% for hight and weight.

They also tend to start on average three years earlier the their mother's did.
Oh my so I started at 9 with menstration so if this is right she is right on target for getting it.

I think I will give the Dr a call and make sure that everything is all right, just to be on the safe side.
Thanks
I don't think I am ready for this if this is what is starting to happen. OH MY!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
my dd is a bit over eight and has NONE of that going on yet. thank goodness!

but, she hardly drank milk. i have heard that the hormones in milk are the worst...it is better to give girls organic milk. not sure how true that really is.

just so young! they still need to be just kids and not have worries like that yet

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Our daughter started developing around 8, periods at 11, and had abreast reduction at age 14 (they removed 4 pounds from each breast).

I have two nieces, not biologically related to DD (adopted) that both started developing around 8 or 9.

Does she see her pediatrician every year for her physical? If not, it might be good time to take her in for a check-up and it will reassure your "momma's heart" to know that she is just fine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Oh boy, do I know what you are going through. One of my daughters started "rounding out" at 8 years old. We couldn't figure out what was going on, because honestly, I never thought of puberty happening so early. I was 12 when I started, so I assumed she would follow the same genetic pattern.

Well, we had the same symptoms as you-hairy legs, odor, etc. Then she came running to me one day last year all upset. Here she was spotting already! I took her to her pediatrician who tested her endocrine system,(I think) and sure enough, it was early puberty.

The Dr. said that the AMA is going to revise the puberty ages down to 8 years old, because this is becoming quite common.

We have a battle finding clothes that fit her without looking frumpy. Everything is so narrow fitting, and she has hips and curves! She looks overweight, but we keep telling her she needs to wait until she gains height to even out.

Kids at school teased her about her legs, and she begged me to let her shave. My first reaction (for a long time) was to say no, because it's so young. So she stopped wearing shorts, hated gym class, wanted to quit swimming because she didn't want to show her hairy legs.

But...she is going through something her peers are not, and that merits special consideration. I had to lighten up and let her shave. Her self-esteem went up a bit, so it was worth it. I figure of all the battles we are going to have, that one just wasn't important. And she is going through enough. Emotionally this is tough at this age.

We have had our share of tears. This has not been easy. She is having the mood swings and crying jags, too. I just wasn't prepared for this-I still looked at her as a little girl. I have had to change my way of thinking, because doing things the way my mother did by us isn't going to work in this case. I still have to catch myself.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
My DD8 is starting to get a lot of hair. She could just about start shaving her armpits but I don't want to start that until we have too. She is also now using deodorant. Although since eliminating process foods and dairy I can't say I have noticed any Oder.

·
Registered
64 Posts
precocious puberty is the onset of the signs of puberty before the age of 7 or 8.

we don't eat alot of processed foods and dd doesn't eat alot of meat, but she's been wearing deodorant since she was 4 and has hairy legs and hair under her arms since she was 5. she is now 6. I took her to the doctor and all they did was xray her hand to see if her bones were growing too fast??? xray didn't show anything so she's fine. whatever. the issue will be addressed AGAIN when she hits her 7th birthday in Feb.

I don't think when the mother gets her period has alot to do with it. I was 14 when I got mine and I certainly didn't have hairy pits at age 5. I think if you are concerned it's something to check out. just look up precocious puberty and see if your dd has any of the signs. and then find a really good doctor, not someone who just wears the white lab coat and writes prescriptions.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I started when I was in grade 2. It was embarrassing, and I would wear baggy sweatshirts, tshirts and the like to hide what was going on. Kids at school would make fun of me, do things like come pat me on the back to see if I was wearing a bra. I finaly asked my mom if we could buy a bra and the next day I could overhear her talking on the phone with my aunt saying 'ohh DD is getting her first training bra' 'yes we'll have to watch out for the boys now' kinds of things I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.
My mom wouldn't let me shave my legs because she said I was too young. The older kids at swimming lessons would say things about my legs. Like make comments in the shower room after our lessons were done. This is when I started to sneak a razor into my room and shave my legs at night while mom was sleeping. No one ever taught me how to do it, so I would end up with horrible razor burn. The razors my mom bought were the really cheap bic ones with one blade, so I don't think I could really have cut myself badly with one.
Its an awkward and embarrassing thing for a girl to go through. I would say the best you can do is take cues from your daughter, if she has extra hair and its bothering her, help her to safely get rid of it. If she needs a bra, go with her to buy one but don't make it a public embarrassing event (read nosy relatives or dressing room staff). If you notice an odor, help her do something about it. Chances are she doesn't smell it herself, but other kids at school will. These are just my suggestions based on the embarrassment I went though and how to prevent similar situations for your daughters.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Is your daughter on any medications? Sometime meds can cause a hormonal change in young girls. Doesn't have to a hormone pill. My daughter went through mood changes around age 9 started at age 11. Other daughter started at age 13.

I would have to agree.If your daughter is starting to mature make sure you do whatever it takes to get it under control. When i married hubby he had 2 girls the oldest was 12 the bio mother was never in the picture. Well she was going to school stinking really bad. Body oder was so bad.Even though she showered, she never used deodrant ,body sprays ect. When she was on her period it was very bad. She had no friends no one could stand to be around her. More to that story. It wasn't just the smell.Well all those kids has made it a living hell for the youngest one that is now in high school. She is no way shape or form like her takes fantastic care of herself. But she is still shunned as being the sister of the smelly girl. So kids can be so mean.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
We are going through the fun roller-coaster known as puberty...

Hopefully, you find this article helpful, it has a list of different ideas and books for DD

Raising a Young Woman

Reactions: Nishu and Rhiamon
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.