Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a few of you on here. I have been going to school (on and off) to get my Master's in Education (my BS is in Business). Before I go further, I need to know this: do you ever get sick of being with kids?!?!? I mean, you have your own at home and then you go to work and deal with them again. Do you feel like you're always dealing with the same "stuff"?

I just talked to a teacher friend of mine and she said that she could remember when she had four teenagers at home and crying about always dealing with the same foolishness (she was also a h.s. teacher). She did say the benefits outweighed everything, though (summers, vacations, etc.).

Thanks for your honest input!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I suffer through that occasionally. I've been teaching for 20 years and have a 6 yr old. I also teach young children.

I agree, though, that the benefits outweigh the headaches. It's especially nice if you're on the same school schedule as your kids.

It's one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I love it and wouldn't want to do anything else with my life. Congratulations to you for getting into teaching!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
I don't get tired of the kids, no. I get tired of the excuses, and occasionally, I get tired of the parents, but I don't get tired of the kids. I teach 8th grade, and everyday it is something new with them. Such drama, all the time, but it is so exciting to watch them become who they will be, and it is very exciting, as well, to be an agent of change and discovery in their lives.

Just a quick note...I know very few teachers who actually don't have to work during the summer because what they make isn't enough to really cover everything through the year. So, take that whole argument with a grain of salt.

Otherwise, I think teaching is a wonderful profession. Although I had undergrad work in Education, I really found my Masters work in Education to be very informative and interesting. I hope you enjoy yours as well!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I agree with AmyBoz..you get tired of the excuses, but I've only ever really been TIRED of one child.. and this is my 13th year of teaching.

One of the things I like best about teaching is that it is new every year.. you rarely get the same old same old..because your class changes. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts