Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I have just started the cash system and putting different amounts into different envelopes. but, I am running into some issues. How do you figure in money for "stock up" items? I am running really low on cash but there is a bunch of buy 1 get 1 free things that I really need in order to get the best deal on, that we use almost daily.

can you give me some tips? where am I going wrong?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I include "stock-up" money in my budget, with its own envelope. When it's gone, it's gone: no more stocking up, unless I can make it work in my actual grocery money. There's always another deal. I've rarely regretted passing on something if I didn't have stock up money but I've frequently regretted spending more money than I should have, kwim? This is just what works for me, of course.

As you fine tune your budget it will get easier and better. Hang in there!

·
Registered
102 Posts
when it comes to stocking up, prioritize whether its a must to stock up, i.e., if its a food item for a very good price, i.e, 10/10 and you can get them cheap/free (just pay tax), you can freeze them, I think you can't beat that. Although there will be another sale, sometimes the coupon amts vary or the sale price is higher the next time so its never the same, kwim? If its for an item you have a closet full of, then you can pass.

Just a tip, although cash system is good, another alternative you might want to look into is get a CC which gives 5% cashback on gas and 1% on all other purchases. You JUST HAVE TO PAY THE BALANCE IN FULL each month so you don't pay any interest. This is even better because you earn while you spend money.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe the problem is that we were so tight with money for several months, that every sale right now seems to be a necessity. I might have to take a little more money out of the budget, these sales are primarily apple sauce and apple juice buy 1 get 1 free that we use alot of. I go through several jars of apple sauce a month.

thanks all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts