Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 43 almost 44. (wow hard to believe it- I don't feel that old!)
I think my hormones are getting out of whack. As I sit here today, I have become very sad this afternoon. My DH and I have an empty nest ( since June) the empty nest happened sooner than I expected it to, but I thought I had adjusted.
I am finding myself really missing my DD 20 today. I am sitting here teary eyed. I have been fine all day! Now all of a sudden, I am about to cry thinking about her and how much I miss her. I just saw her last night! I usually see her about once every two weeks, and talk to her about twice a week and I seemed to be fine with it until now.
I didn't do this when our DS 22 moved out at 17- maybe because he was giving us a lot of trouble. Is this normal?
I guess my questions to you ladies is, did any of you go through this to find out you had some hormonal imbalance after all was said and done?
Is this what I have to look forward to? Or is this just the residual empty nest trauma??

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm not quite to where you are yet- I am 38 and eldest is 17 and I seriously am considering having another baby because I am so not ready to be done parenting. Our youngest is only 7 so really we aren't there yet, but still....when I think of it now it makes me so sad. My mom cried my entire high school graduation day- it so annoyed me. My mom cried the entire day she drove me to college. And then she never cried again- at least not that I saw :) I'm sure there are so many adjustments. Can't help you, but I feel for you!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Yep. Happened to me last fall when DS started university. I would be fine then see something of his and just start bawling. It's normal and it does get easier. Hang in there. Hugs

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Oh this is so going to happen to me. I think everyday how different and lonely I will feel when my 19 year old DD moves out. I'm trying to prepare for it. I think a part of me will be happy and sad.

I have a long way to go before the empty nest syndrome really kicks in. I have a 4 year old at 41!!!!

It's normal. :hugz:

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
My Ds left in Aug. and I have been in a state of mourning for him. I have tried to explain to Dh that yes it is a good and natural thing. And that yes I am proud of and happy for Ds BUT that I am grieving the ending of my child rearing years. It is much the same feeling I had when my child bearing years ended.

If your are perimenopausal you may experience a lot of the same symptoms as menopause before your cycle truely ends. I remember my emotions roaring large seemingly all of the sudden for no apparent reason. I would sit there being intensely angry or a stupid commercial would reduce me to crying jags-a commercial that wouldn't have affected me at all before. I got uber sensitive to noise and I had idle thoughts that everyone could tell i was totally unwound and cookoo for cocoa puffs. Oh and the emotional range shifted like a fast slide show which in turn made me ball. I also went through a time period of waking up at exactly 3 a.m and another of tearing off clothes and keeping windows open in the middle of winter.
I think I remember thinking Dh was having an affair too. I went at 37 and am now 50 so I am thinking back a bit. And menipause IS a hormone imbalance.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Ask your doctor for an FSH test............that will tell you if you
are peri-menopausal............which you could be..........It is just a simple blood draw.............Follicle Stimulating Hormone test.

But the empty nest is normal..........still think you need to know
about the menopause thing.....esp. since you said that you 'thought' you had adjusted.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hard to know if I am perimenopausal- I had an endometrial ablation two years ago so I do not have cycles anymore. I know I have a history of ovarian cysts, and therefore, I have the normal cyst pain every month about the time which would be ovulation. I am just not sure if this is just psychological, or what to think?
I remember my mom going through crying jabs at the same age roughly and strongly related to us leaving the nest.
My husband doesn't understand how strong the mother child bond is so I know he probably thinks I am a nut case.

·
Registered
615 Posts
YUP, I know how you feel. My DD flew the nest in May she got married and moved to Wyoming!!! I had a hard time with it and my DH did not understand one bit. We took in a college student from our church. I have just enough responsiblites to fill the void but not enough where I worry like my own. It is nice having a young person in the home coming and going and eating us out of house once again. Also on the crying jag I took a natural herb called 5-htp found in any store helps with the mood. I wish you luck it does get better in time. Hugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an ablation 2 years ago as well. I am definitely still cycling and the hormones are on a roller coaster ride and won't jump off! LOL

Right now, I'm using essential oils and trying to get my moods on an even keel. If I don't find results soon, I'll be asking my doc for more help from medical science.

I'm not sure exactly what your questions was but my answer is, "Yes, you are normal. We are all in this together!"

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's funny sometimes how the boys it's not as hard but my daughter I miss terribly but there is still one at home so it's not as bad. I'm over 50 and I know when these last two leave it's going to be rough. So hugs.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Im going through it. Im 43 and my daughter and the grandsons moved back in a year ago. Then they just got there own place a few weeks ago. Im sitting her think how much i miss them. Its a emptiness . Hugs to you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Its totally normal. My daughter went to college 90 minutes from home. She came home every weekend and we talked on the phone and text and imed every day but i cried almost every Sunday after she left because i missed her. Even though i was so proud and wanted her to go to her college of choice i was a lonely mom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My daughter moved out last year and it was very very difficult. Now she moved a couple of miles from us and is expecting.

We see her more now then when she was living here. She actually comes over to visit, eat with us, Play cards, watch movies. You just never know how things will turn out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm 43. A mom of five and just found out this past summer that I am in perimenopause. It sucks. Bigtime. Hormones are all over the place and it's like PMS to the extreme. I hate it. :(

However...I have an excellent ob/gyn...his suggested going on the pill..and I"m so glad I did. I feel like I used to, I feel normal again!

We only have one child home..the other 4 are out and on their own..the oldest is married and has two kids..I do miss having a houseful of kids, but I so enjoy the quiet time I get with myself and with dh.

We travel a lot!! either they come here for several weeks 5 times a yr or we go there for for several weeks 5 times a yr. It's not perfect,, but it works for us. I sure do miss them.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Welcome to the club! I'm 58 now and enjoying life very much these days. I loved my forties and found them very freeing :) We have raised five kids. They are all grown and have families of their own. We love being with them but are also enjoying our alone time. I've been dealing with this a bit longer than you and for me it has gotten much better. I sometimes tear-up or cry when the kids leave after a visit and head for home. Life is all about change, which I've never liked much. But it is what it is. It's a good feeling to know that you had a chance to hold this dear ones for a time. It's also wonderful to see them having families of their own. My family is spreading around the US. So this fall my hubby is retiring. We bought an RV, which will be our permant home. We planned to travel and visited each of our kids :) Looking forward to this new adventure. On second thought maybe change is a good thing, it brings us new callenges:) I had mood swings and hot flashs going though the change. I tryed some stuff but most things didn't work for me. I don't have the mood swings anymore but I still get hot flashes now and again. I'm so glad that you found something that helped you. Enjoy this stage of you life. Life is such a wonderful gift from God :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I will be 48 in March. Knock wood but aside from 3 summers ago when I had a 13 day period and a 17 day period and then the next summer when I had a 10ish day period--nothing.

No hot flashes, weight gain, mood swings, period issues, night sweats, insomnia or whatever else one gets when perimenopausal.

But! I am a vegan and I eat A LOT of soy and maybe that has something to do with it? Also, I exercise a lot.

Or, maybe it hasn't hit yet? I don't know. I hope that's not it.

We'll see...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Interesting because I was wondering the same thing about my self. I asked my gyno about it because my emotions were everywhere, seemed like I would get what would be described as hot flashes, be crying on a commercial... His response? Are my cycles normal. At the time, yes. So he said I was fine. So I thought it was stress. Well, now they aren't normal. Stress or hormonal imbalance from perimenoupause, who knows.

Only DD left 2 years ago, I'm still trying to deal. Hang in there!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting because I was wondering the same thing about my self. I asked my gyno about it because my emotions were everywhere, seemed like I would get what would be described as hot flashes, be crying on a commercial... His response? Are my cycles normal. At the time, yes. So he said I was fine. So I thought it was stress. Well, now they aren't normal. Stress or hormonal imbalance from perimenoupause, who knows.

Only DD left 2 years ago, I'm still trying to deal. Hang in there!!!!
I think you need to find another doctor..one who actually listens to you. My doctor has been my doc for over 25 yrs, so he knows me well. He knows I'm not a complainer so when I showed up in his office he knew something was amiss.

Ask them to do labs and check your FSH level.

At first I thought the same as you...that all these changes in my cycle were due to stress or just normal for me. It wasn't until I had a 17 day period that I was really, really concerned and got to his office as fast as I could.

Thankfully we found a bc pill that works and I am feeling like I did at 25. I've lost 10lbs without trying, I feel GREAT, I actually want to do things and be around people again. lololol:vibes::vibes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts