Frugal Village Forums banner

Question...I want to send a package...

892 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  frugalmel 
#1 ·
...to a soldier in Kuwait (my dh's cousin's dh). What is the quickest method of shipping that I can use? Can I send via Priority mail? Will he get it faster that way?

He's a Capt. in the army if that makes a difference.

Please forgive my silly questions...I know NOTHING about military life.

Thanks!

Michelle

#2 ·
No such thing as a silly question!!

Yes, send it Priority & make sure you fill out the customs form - they have one for under 4 lbs & a different one for over 4 lbs....since he's in Kuwait & an officer, it shouldn't take too long - keep in mind though that "fast" is about 10-14 days!!

You're so very thoughtful!!! :)

#3 ·
Ok another silly question...the address I have for him is an APO address...do I still need to fill out a customs form?

Thanks for your help Debbie! :)

#4 ·
Yes - you'll have to fill one out....but the good news is, they are relatively painless!! Just make sure you put his address on the form *exactly* like you have it one the package!

GW was in "ECHO Battery" and that's what I had on the box - on the form I wrote "E Battery" thinking it was the same difference - oh but no!! Mr. Postal Sevice Guy practically went postal on me!! Had to refill out the dumb form!! Something to do with a paper trail and accountability....

Don't understand it, don't like it, but they never ask me before they make these stupid rules!! ;)

#5 ·
I send and sometimes pack the boxes going to APO's and FPO's almost everyday at work.

They have cut off times for stuff since it is getting close to the holiday (although it could still make it in time)

Here is the link to the deadlines based on the APO zipcode:

http://www.operationshoebox.com/deadlines03.asp

You can still send it after that date but it might not make it by the holiday's.

#7 ·
It really just depends. There is a lady whose grandson is at one of the zips that starts with 093 (the one that had the earliest cut off time) and she has been sending all his stuff Priorty and he's been getting it in about 9-10 day's. Standard mail may be a few dollars cheaper but it could take twice as long to get it there.

#8 ·
Yeah, I would send it Priority anyway, and it's one with the 093 zips too. The thing is that he's coming home for 2 weeks in Dec (though I don't know when exactly), and I was trying to decide if I should send the package now or wait till he has to go back :(

I think I'll send him a letter and a wallet size picture of my dd's school picture now and wait on the package. I don't want it to arrive when he's home LOL

#9 ·
Michelle, when you do send the package. Be SURE on your Customs form you mark the box that says Return to Sender if it can't be delivered. Boxes that are NOT marked that sometimes don't make it to the recipient. They are "abandoned" at the customs stations overseas sometimes.

#10 ·
Thank you Melody for the tip! I never would have thought to do that :)

Oh and btw...I got your M.O.'s today--thanks. I'll send out your package tomorrow :D

#11 ·
Kool! :) Glad they made it ok. :) DD will be so excited. (and me too lol)

Oh and you're welcome for the tip. The local P.O guy told me that one. He's such a sweetie. He's a Veteran and really is supportive of the troops here and the spouses left behind. (and he loves kids, so they get candy every time)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.