Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking with my now fixed eyes, for ways to cut our budget.
I already have some ideas.
I am wondering though.
I am reading an article and the author says the otc drugs are higher at grocery stores than at discount chains.
That got me to wondering, what about prescription drugs?
Do all pharmacies charge the same or would a wal mart pharmacy be cheaper?
Does anyone know?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
My experience is that Walmart or Sams Clubs are cheaper than independent pharmacys and most grocery stores. They still get to buy in volume and pass the savings on to us.

Call each place with the name, amount, and strength of your prescription and ask for a price. Only takes a few minutes and they will all give you the info. over the phone.

Always price check your presciptions. I have saved 5 to $10.00 by shopping around. Since we don't have insurance, it really helps.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I had thought of this a couple weeks ago.
My son Chris had an infection in his throat. The bill after my ins paid their 30% was $36!!! For 2 prescriptions!
One was for 1,000 mg aumentin (which if available in generic would have cost me $5! but they said it ws the lower doses in generic)
and 5mg Clarinex, also no generic available.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Sis, every pharmacy charges different here and even their dispensing fees are different. We don't go to the cheapest one, but to the middle of the road one because we trust them and the pharmists are the best!!

I'd call around too and see what you can find out!! I know here you can save quite a bit from each pharmacy.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
They can be very different, as much as 50 per script or more, call around. Target will match comp prices

·
362 Posts
Melissa,

At Walgreen for augmentin we paid $36 at walmart we paid $7.50 ...

I have had the same experience with BC pills and such as well...that at one place it costs double what it does at the other...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts